Front loader washing machines - what to look for?

racheal77, Dec 7, 7:44am
Need to buy a front loader for new laundry - dont know anything about them. Just the two of use so no need for a big machine - had a look at HN last weekend but really didnt know what we were looking for apart from size.

enpointe, Dec 7, 7:52am
That you can add something after the wash has started, that you can wash in cold water (we had one that wouldn't - a sensor would stop the machine if it didn't detect warm water), that it has a lint catcher (not all do), and that the main wash cycle you would use isn't ridiculously long.

Also if your house is on wooden piles as opposed to concrete slab, it can tend to vibrate your house alot when it spins, even if balanced as well as it can be (I think you can buy rubber matting to go underneath them to alleviate that).

rsr72, Dec 7, 7:56am
Look for one that has a fast wash. Bosch has a very handy 15m wash which we use mostly. The Bosch uses very little water, hasmany auto programs, and variable water temps.

racheal77, Dec 7, 9:47am
excellent, thanks - just what I was wanting to know

trade4us2, Dec 7, 11:23am
A top loader will vibrate the house too.
AEG and Bosch are good.

koru67, Dec 7, 6:16pm
and Miele

mrsb, Dec 7, 6:20pm
get one that only has a cold water hose connection, and completely heats the hot water if needed

ed65, Dec 7, 7:39pm
On the EECA website you can compare water and power consumption for differrent models. That's how we chose our Simpson front loader. Took a while to get used to after having a top loader for donkey's years.

urbanrefugee54, Dec 7, 11:29pm
check to make sure the spin cycle rates are high enough to actually dry the clothes enough. when we were looking we were told only a few have the rate as high as 1200 & that ones that only go to 800, meant that the clothes were still quite wet [I think almost dripping] - to us that would have made a difference as we dry them on an inside line in front of the fire & it was good to know.

enpointe, Dec 8, 2:54am
Well our top loader gave us minor vibration, our LG frontloader feels like a freight train is going through!It is so bad I can't set it to run while we are asleep without the vibrations waking us up.Yes it is balanced.Frontloaders are just alot heavier than top loaders.

enpointe, Dec 8, 2:54am
Well our top loader gave us minor vibration, our LG frontloader feels like a freight train is going through the house!It is so bad I can't set it to run while we are asleep without the vibrations waking us up.Yes it is balanced.Frontloaders are just alot heavier than top loaders.

amasser, Dec 8, 11:13pm
Best test is in Consumer magazine, probably available at your local library. I trust that more than individuals' experiences (of 1 machine). Of course, I have had a Westinghouse for 10 years and very happy. Buy largest size practical to reduce number of washes per week, but you will save on water, electricity and powder regardless.
Don't understand this need to put items in after the cycle has started. Appliances for the criminally-disorganized!
No. 10 may have a balanced machine - would refer to manufacturer - but an unbalanced load.

rhys5, Dec 9, 4:33am
There's a lot of good brands out there for front loader washing machines. I would not buy a Ariston tho. I think Electrolux group and Fisher and price are better at making top loader washing machines. Don't forget the Korean brands LG and Samsung.

tillsbury, Dec 9, 4:39am
If you have the budget, I'd suggest Bosch.Miele are also excellent, but overpriced by comparison.

racheal77, Dec 9, 8:28am
thanks for the advice, we ended up with an LG 7.5kg. I liked the 10 warrenty on the motor

siobhan41, Dec 9, 8:32am
Love our Bosch with the 15min cycle.

2_cheeky_4_u, Dec 9, 7:22pm
the househere isfloor boards . have put 2 four by one boards on floor and puttop loader on top .has reduce the vibrations and stopped the top loader from moving around the washouse .lol

wasgonna, Dec 9, 8:51pm
Anything is better than going down to the creek and washing the clothes on soapy rocks.

climbinghare, Dec 10, 1:05pm
You made a good choice. We have no problems with our LG even has the option of drying clothes as well, Costs about 50cents per load to dry.