Insulation in walls

Page 1 / 2
christin, Jun 12, 9:01pm
I have an older house, 1930's. It has insulation in the roof, but I dont think any in the walls etc. (below is also mostly on a flat slab due to an extension etc)

If i do go downt he insulation track, is it only outside walls I do (which would be easier due to not havint to strip gib off all) and if so, is a wall with a big full (like four opening panes) worth insulating as most of it is glass.

would it make a difference at all.and is it worth the hassle for as mall area? (is most of the wall is under the window)

thanks.

golfaholic2, Jun 12, 9:23pm
yes
no
You have the right idea . future proofing the wall with windows might be useful from a perspective of doing the walls while set up for it all . in case your going to double glaze in the future
Otherwise , doing that farty little piece when all that glass is there is just a waste of effort

singing1, Jun 12, 11:56pm
You might want to look at that spray into the cavity type insulation where they drill a hole and blow in expanding insulation through the hole filling the cavity which saves you having to remove the exterior or interior cladding to insulate.

galex, Jun 13, 12:00am
I wouldn't us that stuff, it can trap water {no ventilation once it has expanded] and cause serious problems

tweake, Jun 13, 3:05am
as above, what you have to watch out for is that most insulation will hold water. not only does that make the insulation ineffective it will cause mold and rot.
its not just insulation but moisture barrier also needs to be installed and installed correctly.
just remember every wall has moisture in it.

i have been helping with doing some building at work (new lunch room yah!) and we took off the outside wall panels to put the building paper in and also used polystyrene insulation as it doesn't hold moisture. was just sorting the electrics this morning as you can't have the cables touching the polystyrene.

christin, Jun 13, 5:10am
The outside is stucco so cant be removed or that spray stuff used.

Thanks sounds like not worth it in the smallish bit. Just wondered if it would help a little as it is a cold room. Not planning on double glazing any time soon

What about the other rooms, outside walls only (not worried about sound issues etx on internal walls) or the lot?

Thanks

tweake, Jun 13, 5:20am
for the outside walls your going to have to work out the moisture control. that will vary depending on how the walls is built. if you can't fix that then no point putting insulation in.

don't forget inside walls. still worth doing so you don't loose heat to cold unused rooms. generally no water issues to worry about.

christin, Jun 13, 5:47am
What do you mean work out moisture control? I'm not sure if I have moisture issues?

johotech, Jun 13, 6:21am
Building paper. It will all be detailed on your consent application by the LBP designer.

tweake, Jun 13, 6:34am
old style house simply have weather boards straight onto the studs. any water that gets through or condensation ends up in the wall. with no insulation its not a problem as there is usually enough air flow in the wall to dry it out (provided the water is not pouring in).
when you stuff the wall with insulation you block off all that airflow, so it won't dry out and the water will stay in there. the insulation will soak it up and it won't dry out.
what makes it a little harder is weather boards are horizontal which tends to trap water in. vertical boards tend to let water drain out.

wet timber = mold.

native timber may not rot quickly but that depends a bit on whats been done over the years ie pine timber added etc. common to have the original interior timber removed, modern wall framing added and lined with gib.

if you have just the original studs (no nogs) then i have heard of people fitting building paper from the inside, prise the bottom weather board a bit to slip it down the back of it.
the purpose is so that any leak, blown in water or condensation hits the building paper and drains down and out a the bottom. so water doesn't get into the insulation.

christin, Jun 13, 6:41am
As I mentioned above, I have stucco, not weatherboards, so not sure if there are any gaps for water to get in?

Also consent application? Is that needed for insulating walls? And call me ignorant but what's a LBP designer?

tweake, Jun 13, 7:15am
sorry, got it mixed up. its friday.

water still gets through stucco. a lot of the leaky homes where stucco.
depends a bit on what the stucco is on and how the wall is constructed.

main point is you need to have good water/condensation control in the walls before you put the insulation in. get a registered builder to inspect and advise.

christin, Jun 13, 7:23am
The stucco looks pretty sound and solid. Concrete like and no cracks etc. so hopefully will be fine. Will post a pic it's not new stuff

If I do the insulation, it's only a small bit maybe a metre high by 3 or 4 long at a guess. If I'm getting builders in,more gibing etc, sounds like a lot of expense for maybe little gain due to the window?

christin, Jun 13, 7:36am
This is the size of the wall vs window. Ignore the messed up curtains, cats in and out of window whilst windows open!

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/389743099.jpg And stucco. Not thr best photo but dark outside and had this before yucca removed and new roof :-) https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/389744636.jpg

trade4us2, Jun 13, 7:52am
If you're in Auckland you scarcely need much heating. I have not had a heater on this year yet.
I'd suggest insulating just the lounge. The thousands of dollars you save by not insulating all the walls can be spent on having a heater on a little bit more.

tweake, Jun 13, 8:01am
does the closet go to the wall?
if so count that in to.

if your doing work on that wall anyway then i would insulate where possible, provided water control is ok.
if its worth ripping the gib off to do insulation only, i think the cost would be to much.

stucco, i don't know much on. however i do know that many builders got tripped up by the stuff. it does leak, even if you can't see cracks.
do you know if the stucco is original coating?
i've seen houses where they put it on over the top of original weather board.

christin, Jun 13, 8:03am
I have a heatpump in the lounge area, as well as a fire in my room (open) and a wood burner in kitchen.

Mostly use the heat pump but due to location and layout of bedrooms hp barely touches it.

I don't want to rely on heaters in that room all the time as its a spare room which I may be renting out again (had a friend in it for six years until he passed away :-( ) and find flatmates tend to leave heaters going etc, so if I can help it get warm quicker and stay warm quicker it's better if that makes sense

But as mentioned, if it's going to cost heaps I won't bother, will just strip paper and paint etc and not insulate, I don't want to have to go down consent and LBP path for one room if possible.

Thanks

christin, Jun 13, 8:07am
I'm not sure if its over weatherboards, nut I think it's original looking at old photos but hard to tell? If it was over wb, would have been expensive job just to change the look?

Does that brick design at the bottom help to tell? I've only ever seen it like that and painted , I've always assumed that's justndesign on the stucco?

christin, Jun 13, 8:14am
Oh and the lounge, another story. Full of French doors and windows and not much wall there either so told insulation will Prob no be worth it as heat will escape through all th glass.

Damn house lol

tezw1, Jun 13, 9:19am
When you insulate walls in an old house you are required to get a building consent. Ceiling and floor are exempted building work.

christin, Jun 13, 9:29am
Okay thanks. Is it a hard and expensive process to get consent?

I was hoping to do rom by room as I could afford to do them up etc. is consent needed just once or each and every room?

tweake, Jun 13, 9:31am
yes, sorry i forgot that. need registered builder for doing work in outside walls anyway.

christin, Jun 13, 9:44am
It's getting complicated for a small area, and sounds like it will be a pain to do room by room.

So unless i win lotto, and can get someone in to strip and insulate the house whilst I'm on a nice world trip, don't think insulation will be happening :-(

Guess better get a lotto ticket this weekend. I have five bedrooms I was going to do bit by bit so yeah!

johotech, Jun 13, 10:08am
You're not really getting great advice in here.

Yes you need a building consent.
No you don't need a registered builder.

Go and talk to building control at your council. They will tell you what you need to do.

christin, Jun 13, 10:14am
Thanks, will go talk to them. All very confusing for a newbie :-)