What wall and ceiling insulation for shed?

trogedon, Oct 27, 6:23am
A friend and I have just finished putting up the shell of my new workroom (shed). I need to insulate it as I'm going to be working out there in Summer and Winter. What insulation will be effective, inexpensive and easy to fit (I don't ask for much!) in the walls and in the ceiling? It has steel cladding / roof and I plan to use thin ply for wall boards.

fordcrzy, Oct 27, 6:28am
bunning sell a green batt thats half the price of pink batts. give that a go.

johotech, Oct 27, 6:31am
Did you put building paper under the cladding and roof?

trogedon, Oct 27, 6:43am
Good Q. I haven't done that yet but I will do. What do you suggest? (I'm probably going to use a silver water proof 'paper' under the roof)

maddie44, Oct 27, 7:03am
if you are putting a ceiling in you should use a breathable building paper

trogedon, Oct 27, 8:48am
A friend who's into waterproofing said to use it and I really don't want leaks so I'll use it (have done previously with success).

maddie44, Oct 27, 8:58am
Didn't realise you were going to put on a leaky roof so needed the underlay to be waterproof.
Breathable paper is used to stop condensation issues.
Council wouldn't allow foil to be used in that situation either.

crackerjack19, Oct 27, 9:16am
If I was doing this build for my own use I would use Polystyrene sheets I would cut up to suit. I would not put any electric wiring inside the walls or the ceiling.On the surface of the ply wood would be OK inside plastic conduit.
The Polystyrene sheets will not absorb any moisture and has excellent insulation qualities.

zak410, Oct 27, 11:57am
Did you really put the cladding (and the roof) before the 'building paper'?

golfdiver, Oct 27, 8:17pm
Going to be amusing to see how underlay is fitted from the inside and still not leak condensation.

trogedon, Oct 27, 8:43pm
Thanks for the helpful comments.

johotech, Oct 27, 9:53pm
That's not really the best idea, and as far as the wiring goes, it isn't necessary. There is cable available which is compatible for use with polystyrene.

However for a small shed, I wouldn't bother with polystyrene. Any of the regular glasswool type products would be much easier to use and more effective.

tweake, Oct 28, 6:05am
i insulated part of the shed at work.
took the side panels off and ran building paper along the walls. for the roof just lift up the iron. ours already had the silver type under the iron.
would have been easier to do when you where putting it together.

unfortunately you do need to do it otherwise you risk the insulation getting wet. glass wool products don't dry out.

rotormotor7, Oct 28, 7:29am
While you guys discussing this roof talk

corregated roof, building paper. how much of an air gap do uou need between paper and batts(flat roof) of a musicroom/shed. 50mm enough?

aj.2., Oct 28, 8:21am
No gap needed really , as the paper helps hold the heat in , from the batt's .
Its all about stopping air movement .Any of that and you lose the heat.

tweake, Oct 28, 9:55am
nothing to do with heat its about condensation.

typically i think around 50mm between the building paper and batts.
as long as there is a gap it should be ok. if the batts touches the paper you create a point where the condensation on the back of the iron will draw through the paper and leak.

golfdiver, Oct 28, 5:17pm
This couldn't be more incorrect. The minimum is 20mm but I try for a bit more. The insulation itself is the heat barrier. If you have insulation touching the underlay, then you run a very real risk of capillary condensation. Please try to comment when you actually know something. Otherwise you put people astray with poor advice.

rotormotor7, Aug 17, 4:18am
so 20-50mm then.cool ;). meet you halfway.