Has anyone used a small garden tiller?

jh34, Nov 11, 12:10am
At Bunnings they have an Orzito 50cc tiller and an electric one. I have a bad back and I can't dig the garden (it kills me).
http://www.bunnings.co.nz/ozito-petrol-tiller-51-7cc-_p00253095

jh34, Nov 11, 12:34am

johotech, Nov 11, 12:37am
That one's a real tiller. The first one is just a pretend one. The Ozito says "max tilling depth 60mm" Waste of time.

jh34, Nov 11, 12:52am
You can go over the ground several times though? I'm generally adding sawdust etc as much as possible to make gardening easier. I would prefer a Morrison though (V8 v's Triumph Herald)

jh34, Nov 11, 12:57am
I wonder how powerful an electric tiller would need to be?

rsr72, Nov 11, 1:00am
Save backs, use only a long-handled spade/small shovel, or a long-handled garden fork to dig over gardens.
The traditional short-handled forks and spades are to be avoided as they are responsible for causing more back problems than virtually anything else in NZ.

jh34, Nov 11, 1:47am
Good point rsr72. I hadn't thought of a long handled spade or fork. Would it make the lifting easier? You would have to take smaller loads?

hammerman1, Nov 11, 2:06am
Yep, I have one and it's marvellous. So easy to use and makes mincemeat of the soil. AND it tills to about 150mm.

jh34, Nov 11, 2:11am
The Ozito?

gettinggrey, Nov 14, 4:53am
I bought the Ozito electric tiller as I have a bad back too.
I thought it may be somewhat useless, but no.
It's a wee beaut!
Powerful enough to need holding back.
It's a 'tiller', not a rotary hoe.
It will slice and dice down to a limited range as the cutter bars aren't over long.
But for general weed clearing and lightly turning over a seed bed, vege patch, etc they certainly work well.
Best $129 I've spent on the garden (but I do also own a long handled shovel which is OK for a deep dig over but still buggers the now antique back bones/muscles).
I bought the electric model as they are very light and I have to lift it on to raised gardens (I was younger when I built them).

zl2adl, Aug 1, 3:10am
I to brought a Ozito electric tiller and it is the best tool I have for the garden. It will till the soil to about 150mm and makes gardening a pleasure. It is also very good in the compost heap when you need to get some for the garden, just tills it up better than what you buy in a bag. My neighbour went to get one, they don't make the electric any more so I am glad I got mine when I did, about 3 years ago.