Moss in lawns

Page 1 / 2
kam04, Aug 22, 11:55pm
Anyone recommend a good solution to rid our lawn of moss. Not very much at the moment but want to get on to it before it becomes worse. I could google it but as usual I find personal experiences a good way to go.

pico42, Aug 23, 12:39am
I recall using a mixture of moss killer spray and a nail tooth rake.

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 23, 1:06am
First fix the overhead shade and then the ground conditions that support the moss. Shade, damp, compacted soil - moss loves it. Fix that and reseed with an appropriate grass seed and you don't need repeat treatment with chemicals.

onyx-1, Aug 23, 3:14am
sulphate of iron

kids4ever, Aug 23, 4:09am
, oh gosh, i used that last year, i must have been heavy handed on it and it killed all my grass, so didn't have a nice lawn at all last summer

martin11, Aug 23, 4:14am
Sulphate of Iron and well water it in to the lawn immediately after application

kam04, Aug 23, 5:02am
Not in any shade. Out in the open full sun and at the moment in small clumps on various parts of the lawn.

kam04, Aug 23, 5:03am
Thanks. I assume this can be bought in all garden departments / centres.

maclad, Aug 23, 5:48am
Sulphate of Iron at 5gms per litre watered on. Once dead you will need to rake moss out.

gilligee, Aug 23, 6:16am
We sprinkle dry washing powder over the moss and it dies very quickly.

marte, Aug 23, 11:01am
I used Sulphate of Iron and my lawn turned black.

Theres something with BenzylAmmoniumChloride (sp?)(BAC)in it that kills moss.
I am using it on my weatherboards.

sparkyz, Aug 23, 11:21am
Sulphate of Iron will kill the moss and turn it black. The dead moss will need to be raked out. Doesn't kill the moss spores, so moss will return unless you fix the problem with the lawn that caused the moss problem.
The grass will grow back green and lush.

macandrosie, Aug 23, 7:53pm
I've used sulphate of iron for a number of years but apparently it only turns brown & doesn't truly kill it. Moss is due to extra wet conditions &/or keeping lawns too short. A good dusting of dolomite lime is supposed to do the trick. Ravensdown sell by the 25 kg bag. I have a large garden & lawn & have gone through 6 bags this early spring!

sinclairsouth, Aug 23, 9:56pm
This is what I do too and not only is it extremely effective but economical. Use cold water soap powder. I stock up on this when it is on special at the supermarket and it works out a lot cheaper than the products from the nurseries and also it doesn't kill off the bees.

boothy1, Aug 24, 6:24am
With the soap powder , do you just sprinkle and leave or water later.
Eveo

sinclairsouth, Aug 24, 10:01am
Sorry to be so late getting back to you - I sprinkle on (usually late afternoon) and just leave, the overnight dew on the grass is sufficient moisture to do the job with the soap powder and you will find that it starts dying off almost immediately. I do it every season (as required) which is what you have to do with the expensive products also as they are not permanent 'fixers'. Only topdressing I use on my lawn is lime and in spite of some claims this doesn't prevent moss from coming back this time of year. (Not at my place anyway!) Be interesting to know how you get on with your lawn.

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 24, 9:49pm
That makes it much easier. It's rake and aerate with a garden fork to get some air and drainage back and then feed and reseed. It's best done in autumn, but anytime will help a lot. A top dress with a good balanced soil might help too.

gilligee, Aug 25, 12:36am
We also use it on bricks and steps and tar seal driveway most effectively.
I don't know why everybody doesn't use it.
Any type of washing powder works but obviously the cheapest is the best!

loukirby, Aug 25, 1:26am
I have moss growing on sand in full sun - it is about the only thing that does grow there.

golfdiver, Aug 25, 10:13pm
Most Kiwis cut their lawns way too short. Keep some length on the lawn and fertilise it well and often

barrie2, Aug 25, 10:43pm
Guilty of cutting too short. Not too fussed about lawns as I have had dogs (female) for years and their pee creates dead patches - too late to bother now as my mower has spread the moss far and wide on my 1/4 section.
I now say to the wife "I'll go and cut the moss" lol
Get on top of it before you end up like me.

cats5, Sep 1, 3:17am
I have used Ravensdown lawn fertiliser which also kills moss

muffycaz, Sep 7, 8:27am
I sprinkled baking soda over my lawn and the moss started turning brown within 24hrs

raynz2, Sep 8, 8:52am
I use a steel leaf rake to rake and help de tahts the grass and remove the moss first. Then I bought a pair of spike shoes off TM to airate the soil first then fertilise the grass , i did get some cheap topsoil and over sow the area as well .The moss is only the symptom of the underlying problem of drainage and compaction.

rockdale1, Oct 6, 1:43pm
Have had bad moss in lawns for years but it disappears over the summer months so don't worry about it any more. So don't use any products now and it looks fine over summer. The first cut has been done and looks better already.