Am thinking of getting a water tank in town suburb

Page 1 / 2
hezwez, Aug 20, 12:15am
Is this a biggy? The council has installed water meters and will start charging at some stage, and since we need new spouting/guttering anyway it makes sense to collect the rain water for the garden. We are short of downpipes and I figured it would save digging another soakhole. Please, any suggestions? We have difficult access to the back of the house and I wonder too about the ease of cleaning/filtering etc.

sally63, Aug 20, 12:31am
Great idea! I think it should be mandatory for every new house built. I am not sure about the logistics though. Somebody here will know

jonners2013, Aug 20, 12:34am
you can get some sleek shaped tanks these days. That way you can avoid the large round tank issues. I like the long narrow tanks which sit up next the the house but only stick out say a foot.

something like this;
http://www.tanks.co.nz/product/3000-litre-water-tank-2/

tweake, Aug 20, 12:39am
a tank is a good idea, especially if you can connect it to the toilet feed. toilet uses a lot and quality of water is not that important.

the tank will got in line with the downspout ie from roof into tank and back out of tank back into downspout. so the overflow goes to your drainage system.
don't forget cost of pump and noise of the pump.

check council regs first.
years ago the worse council in NZ banned tank water in town. then a few years latter they where asking everyone to fit tanks as their water supply couldn't keep up. morons.

maccachic1, Aug 20, 2:48am

jonners2013, Aug 20, 3:00am
^^ exactly what i had in mind but i couldn't find the link. nice one.

maccachic1, Aug 20, 3:06am
I know the BoP installers my husband used to work with them. Seemed like a good concept.

hezwez, Aug 20, 6:03am
Hey thanks guys, all good replies. Tweake I didn't realize they needed a pump. I thought it would be gravity-fed and have an outlet a foot or so from the base, and all I'd need to do is keep the guttering clear of leaves and change the filter now and then.

biggles45, Aug 20, 6:09am
We have had several properties with tank water. You will need a fairly decent pump - gravity fed won't cut it you will get little more than a dribble from the taps. Not a problem though, I think the last pump we replaced was about $800, and we had great water pressure. Much nicer water than town water with chlorine in it too.

ETA just saw tweake's post, never noticed the noise from our pumps, one was in the integral garage which was right next to the bedroom (yes they do prime themselves during the night too. not just when water is being run off), talk to a couple of local pump dealers, they will point you in the right direction.

hezwez, Aug 20, 6:21am
Thanks, will do.

trade4us2, Aug 20, 9:33am
Some councils will not allow tank water to go into their sewer unless you pay for it. And measuring that water is no simple matter and is practically not worth doing.

hezwez, Aug 20, 10:13am
OK I'll check the council regulations first thing.

dinx, Aug 20, 11:52am
If you are only talking garden then you might not need a pump unless you use sprinklers than need the pressure. Having a raised smaller tank/s might be sufficient for gardening with sufficient fall. If you are wanting to connect to the house supply then its a different story as is wanting to disconnect from town supply and want a rates cut but doesn't sound like you have any intention of that.

Talk to local farmers, especially those with large gardens, they often run seperate supply for gardening that is not a potable supply so can advise on that. They can also tell you which local plumbers are good (especially who is not) with rural supply, some are just shite with tank systems. Even ask in the farming message board.

dinx, Aug 20, 11:58am
To run a garden hose, on a tank stand DP thinks you need about 4 or 5 ft head of water should be sufficient to run a normal hose, thats not how high the tank has to be, its the normal/average water level off the ground. You might not be able to run some sprinkers on that, certainly not the irrigator type raised pole rotating ones, but low level on a average kiwi ground mounted sprinklers

"Head" of a tank is not measured from the bottom of a tank unless its empty or nearly empty.

biddy6, Aug 20, 7:51pm
Marley do a water harvesting system, call in at plumbing world or mitre10, and get a leaflet and info.

lythande1, Aug 20, 8:13pm
I don't know. Here in Auckland Watercare charges you a $50 application fee and a Fixed charge: $612per year for it going into wastewater.

dinx, Aug 21, 11:11am
Why on earth would you apply to put stormwater into the wastewater system, of course they would have a large disincentive to do that. Its not waste and does not need treatment and adds unwanted pressure on sewer system.

Only your tank overflow would continue into the existing stormwater system where the downpipes already flow into, its not a new connection. You are only diverting some of it into a garden watering system.

PS. Storm water is NOT managed by water care.
http://aucklandcouncil.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/853

The exception would be the limited areas of Auckland where OP isn't located that still don't have an independent stormwater system.

dinx, Aug 21, 11:25am
Talk to NPDC OP, they are very keen on conservation and if this truely is only a stormwater diversion to a tank for gardening there is no new connection or disconnection to either water supply or storm water and its not being connected to the house potable water or waster supply.

IF you decide to make us of it for toilet flushing then its a different situation and would need plumbing permits, but again you are not adding additional water to the waste system (you would have been flushing anyhow), just reducing what you would use on the meter.

tui93, Aug 21, 10:49pm
Pity you don't have more room for the tank? That first slimline one was 3000L for $1999. The 30,000L round farm ones are about $3400 ( roughly) and then you'd have enough for emergencies.

jonners2013, Aug 22, 12:11am
monumental difference in the size between a slim line 2 or 3,000L tank compared with a 30,000L round tank. Also highly likely to be a complete waste as it would be massive overkill for most small residential gardens.

trade4us2, Aug 22, 5:09am
My Metrowater bill for a year is about $380. So there's absolutely no point in having a rainwater tank and paying $612 as well.
Obviously nobody would put rainwater directly down the sewer. Why would anybody think such a thing?

lemming2, Aug 22, 6:55am
I installed a "Tanksalot" 3,100 litre tank (made to fit the site) a few years ago. I am on metered water, and have been always. The tank only feeds my laundry and garden not the toilets, which are too far away. My monthly water bill is about $19 - $22 which includes the waste water charge. It probably hasn't paid for itself yet, but Being a "greenie" I think it's a great investment.
Needed council consent, but that was no problem.

trade4us2, Aug 22, 8:54am
If "The tank only feeds my laundry" I'll bet the council are not happy with that.

aredwood, Aug 22, 11:28am
If it was done before the supercity, Waitak and north shore councils encouraged rainwater tanks to be installed. And now im guessing that the council and watercare probably dont talk to each-over.

dinx, Aug 23, 1:34am
Pretty sure toilets use more than laundry. You can still save a lot even if there is no connection to house, adding toilet or laundry will increase cost dramatically but garden only should be quite cheap.