Fireplace - do I just dump it?

ravo, Nov 5, 10:47pm
We're about to rip out our fireplace, and from what I understand it can't be reinstalled anywhere due to the new air quality standards.

What do I do with it? Dump? Or do people want bits from them (some of the parts are quite new).

I'm tempted to offer it on the local free facebook page but not sure if that's a good idea.

Thoughts, expert DIYers?

fast4motion, Nov 6, 12:33am
Scrap metal dealers will pay for them.
I removed my old non-compliant "insert" fireplace last week and got $11 for it. Just wanted it gone asap, so couldn't be bothered listing it for parts.

daryl14, Nov 6, 2:27am
Couple weeks ago the scrappy wasn't paying anything for steel. Wouldn't hurt to list it on here though. You never know who's lookin.

shaun16, Nov 6, 2:47am
stick it on here for $1 res. someone may want some parts

skin1235, Nov 6, 3:16am
you are in Taupo?, what fire is it, whats the general condition of it, whats the flue and flue socket like

I'd bet it could find a happy home in any area that is not so stupid with their bylaws

ravo, Nov 6, 7:09am
It's a Kent tile fire, not sure how old. It's in pretty good condition, we had the local fireplace guy come out a year ago and replace the baffle (?) and some other stuff. Goes really well and pumps out a heap of heat but we can't reinstall it so it's not worth much to us :-( Yup in Taupo.

golfdiver, Nov 6, 7:26am
I'm still getting money for scrap, but I get about a ton a week so they look after me. It's dropped heaps

skin1235, Nov 6, 7:27am
I paid $200 ( very cheap for what it was ) for a kent tile fire a couple of years back, for up at the bach - which has never seen a council paper or inspector
it had a new flue and had just been refurbished, the guy I got it from had paid $350 for it out of welly as a refurb without checking his then local council - which would not let him install it, a good cheap deal for me, and yes it chases you outside when you get it fired up

someone will pay a tidy sum for it, put it up here with the proviso winner must pick up? ( strapping it to a pellet and org'ing a truck to pick it up could be an option at the winners cost?), am sure you will get a lot better than scrap value

tintop, Nov 6, 7:54pm
And an insurance company that will pay up if the place burns down.

brightlights60, Nov 6, 8:58pm
You can only sell or give it away if its compliant. Check the number on the back and go to Chch city council or environment canterbury. We bought one that was only a couple of years old off here, and had to return it as the model was running out the year after and we wouldn't have gotten any value out of it.

brightlights60, Nov 6, 8:59pm
Exactly, if its going in a bach or a crib out in the wop wops, I don't think you technically need a permit?

skin1235, Nov 6, 9:27pm
the bylaws re compliant fires are not on every councils books, the irrational application of them has not yet permeated throughout the country - thats why I asked if he was from Taupo

skin1235, Nov 6, 9:29pm
all relevant if you are within the jurisdiction of the Ecan nazi's, but does not apply in every district, not every district is as gungho about cornering the market on stupidity

skin1235, Nov 6, 9:33pm
its a much trotted out cliché re insurance refusing to payout should a disaster happen

but have you ever actually had that in writing from an insurance company, have you ever heard of them refusing on those grounds, ever

as far as I know the insurance companies do not have the age and compliance of fires in any of their policies, they certainly do not in any policies I have on houses

differentthings, Aug 7, 8:53am
We got 1 off here a couple of years ago complete with flue etc and use it as a outside fire place. Paid $15 for it.