Cooling upstairs

fendie, Dec 3, 4:55am
Any idea if it is possible to put a heat pump high up on an exterior wall ? My bedroom is upstairs and it is horribly HORRIBLY hot. When heat pumps are in cooling mode they work very well. I am currently just hating it up there. Or is there something better, downstairs has heat pump cooling it right now which is why I mentioned it. Any great thoughts ? Thanks

mm12345, Dec 3, 5:19am
Insulation in ceiling and windows that open.
A heat pump for occasional A/C use might be expensive. They don't last very long (8-12 years) even if used occasionally, use plenty of power especially on cool cycle, and during the heat of the day you won't be on low rates if you're on day/night rate.
If I had the issue you're describing, I'd probably prefer to spend the money on auto velux skylights.
But of course a heat pump will work if that's what you want.

fendie, Dec 3, 6:22am
Thanks mm12345 and yes have the sky lights open right now. Have double glazing and lots of insulation, that is keeping it all nice and warm ! I guess that really we don't have many days as hot as this

mm12345, Dec 3, 7:20am
Ah - you're also in Chch. It's been stinking hot today all right. Problem with what I suggested about insulation and air circulating is that the air outside is still about 28 deg where I am. I can tolerate that, cold beer is helping.
With this El Nino, I wouldn't be so sure that we won't have a real stinker of a hot summer with more than a few 40 deg days. Enjoy Sunday - hopefully a Southerly and only 16 deg - and some rain I hope.

gpg58, Dec 3, 8:04am
hehe, found this,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1080195/Pictured-Death-defying-workman-climbs-16th-floor-window-fix-air-conditioning-unit.html

Yes of course it is, on wall mount brackets.
Look at them on every level of high rises overseas.
But issue is, access to service it, better if possible to run down to ground.

fendie, Dec 3, 8:50am
thanks gpg58, slightly horrifying aren't they. can I get a simple air conditioning unit or doesn't such a thing exist. Heat pumps may be bigger and more complicated. and I think running it down to ground might be more hassle than worth it.

tweake, Dec 3, 9:57am
in my last place the upstairs would hit over 40c easy enough.
big thing is air flow. trying to cool a large amount of air is difficult, easier just to blow it out the windows with a big fan.

instead of aircon why not an evaporator cooler. a whole lot cheaper to buy and run. would work well with chch low humidity.

summersunnz, Dec 3, 11:01am
I had a fan fitted directly over the bed, with it set up by the electrician so it's easy to reach up and tap a button to start it, with it pre-set to turn off after 10 minutes.

I tested the lounge fan several times (same type of fan) when it was really hot, sitting directly under it, and found that I'd cooled in around 7-8 minutes, so when installing the bedroom fan, the sparky set it to go for 10 minutes, then turn off so it isn't constantly going all night, or I can turn the button, also just above the bed, to have it going constantly. It somehow seems cooler to have the moving air from the fan, than the air cooling from a heat pump.

daryl14, Dec 3, 6:31pm
You will need a window open at the bottom as well as the top to get a good flow of cooling air coming up. Maybe you could look at fitting a ducting from under the house or in a cool shaded spot which will naturally draw air with the skylight open.

gpg58, Dec 3, 7:05pm
Yes, you can still buy the basic window rattlers, (window air conditioner )
http://tinyurl.com/pjngxvj which is self contained, and usually gets installed in a window frame, but they are usually noisy and vibrate, but you could install yourself if good at diy. other easier option is portable air conditioners, http://tinyurl.com/p3d45jx
which only need a duct to outside(usually fitted in a part open window). bunnings sell some
Or as others say evaporative coolers(swamp box), which are just a fan with water pumped over a filter in airflow, not really much good, but a lot better than nothing.
http://tinyurl.com/nldz2xo

mndy1, Dec 4, 1:37am
Yes i find a fan pointing directly at you is sufficient enough. Not that great when youre using different parts of the room though.
What about those portable aircon units?

hazelnut2, Dec 4, 2:27am
We lived in Sydney. Moved there from Switzerland. That summer, the house got up to 43C INSIDE. We wore wet t-shirts. Were cool as!

Kids didn't like putting cold wet t-shirts on, so I wet them in warm water first.

Moved to California. Was 43C the day of the block party. Wet my thickest sweat shirt to wear. Was cool as.

Moved to Egypt, hot as there. yup, you guessed it. wet t-shirts! lol

And to sleep at night, a wet hand-towel draped over a body is awesome! Or even better, the whole top sheet, wet and wrung out enough not to drip. Did this in a hostel in Queensland in an awfully stuffy room around 40C hot. Slept like a baby!

tweake, Dec 4, 5:18am
its because your evaporating sweat, which does a large amount of cooling.

same principle as evaporation coolers or wet shirt/sheet.

but that only works well depending on humidity and air flow. high humidity means it won't evaporate very well.

hilt_dwane, Dec 4, 6:47pm
Have you heard of a swamp cooler? I hadn't until I stayed with a friend in Nevada a year ago. Totally amazing but they will not work with humidity. I never saw the unit ( it was located in a room off the garage). It would go all night and in the morning the whole house was like the inside of a chiller. Apparently it is a lot cheaper to run than aircon. My son who works in an electrical wholesale business here in Tauranga told me a local electrician bought one with the intention of setting it up in his own home then discovered our humidity prevents it working efficiently. I believe he imported it. There may be another name for them but my friend called it a swamp cooler. It was AMAZING.

tweake, Dec 5, 4:42am
also known as an evaporative cooler

gpg58, Jul 13, 12:07pm
Swamp box or Legionella breeder ( = poor maintenance - Due to them sitting about with warm stagnant water in them)