Weak worm tea.

meoldchina, May 20, 12:15am
I started my Hungry Bin worm farm about six months ago and followed the instructions to the letter. Although I am getting about a litre of tea every ten days or so, it is very pale in colour. I was expecting it to be the colour of Dilmah Extra Strength, but it's more like weak Chamomile! Any ideas why this should be? Will it be just as effective as a plant food?

bluefrog2, May 20, 1:48am
You get a nicer colour if you add coffee grounds!
I have to siphon out my worm tea, no tap, so it gets done once every couple of months. In the meantime, some of the liquid evaporates, and the colour comes out very black.
I don't think colour matters much, except that yours would be more dilute than what I get to begin with. With liquid fertiliser, it's best to apply a little bit a couple of times per week anyway. So it shouldn't matter if it's more dilute.

meoldchina, May 20, 4:39am
Thanks for the reassurance Bluefrog. I have added coffee grounds from time-to-time but will try to add more when I remember to ask my favourite cafe for some.
Another question: What would happen to plants that were given un-diluted worm tea?

paix1, May 20, 6:52am
Yes, mine is much lighter in colour at the moment so maybe just time of year, I lurveeee worn tea - and my plants love it even more. meoldchina - it will be wayyyyy too strong if put on plants undiluted!

happymullen, May 20, 7:50am
When I know its going to rain, I open the tap, leave a empty drink bottle under the tap, and shift the layers a little so the rain can enter the trays and drain all that goodness into the bottle. Then dilute and use as usual.

bluefrog2, May 20, 11:56pm
Re: undiluted worm tea.
Like all fertiliser, if it's too strong, it can burn or kill the plant. Also, if you add fertiliser just before winter, some plants put out a lot of soft growth that gets damaged by winter frosts - which can also kill the plant. I try not to fertilise in late autumn at all.

sailor13, May 24, 5:37am
BP connect give away I put the paper that comes with it and its free.They have stands out side their door.

sailor13, May 24, 9:38am
Sorry for got to say BP connect give away coffe grounds also put in compost & lime regularly they love watered down egg cartons .

johnr8, Jul 7, 7:23am
HI they also love shredded soggy pizza boxes

poppas47, Jul 9, 1:03am
Yes, pale worm wee, thanks for the tip, I thought I was not feeding them right, haven't used coffee grinds sounds a good idea for colour. What is the worms most common food? Thanks bluefrog2 . Cheers

paix1, Nov 27, 5:03pm
. they like just about anything poppas except citrus peel, onions, meat,fish etc Besides all my food scraps, I also put in shredded tissue, paper towels too. OMG - my garden was SO good last year - can only put it down to the worm tea, worm casts, (oh and the banana skins and egg shells I chucked out the windows onto my rose garden). Any extra banana skins & egg shells I put in the worm farm I also cut skins up very fine & crush shells finely too. (Worms can't chew or bite, can only suck).