Help with roses please

jmm111, Jul 28, 12:16am
I have just pulled out three rose bushes which were diseased. I want to replant roses in the same place, but heard that you have to do something to "disinfect" thr ground. Can anyone tell me how I do this? Thanks in advance

piquant, Jul 28, 2:54am
Never replant roses in the same place! And especially if they were diseased. The only way to go is to remove all the old soil and replace it with new. You will need to dig down a bit too. Just be careful with importing soil - you could be importing lots of weed seed or undesirables like oxalis. And remember that roses are gross feeders - so you need to keep the feed up to them 3 - 4 times in a growing season to keep them growing well.

portly, Jul 28, 8:46am
Make up a bucket of Jeyes Fluid and drench the hole and immediate area. Never had a problem after this treatment

meoldchina, Jul 28, 8:01pm
I understand Jeyes have been forced to change the composition of their fluid due to EU regulations and that it is no longer suitable for sterilising soil. It's made from tar and is considered carcinogenic. In the 60s and 70s my mum used to splash it around everywhere. I'm sure she made a shampoo out of it when I got nits! Or that might have been creosote!

zl2adl, Jul 29, 6:16am
Well dunno about Jeye's fluid being changed works OK for me when I have drenched the soil for club root, so I think it would work for the rese virus or what ever is in the soil. Another method is to use condy's crystals and common salt to drench soil with. Look up the gardener site on the interweb - Wally from Palmy North.

macandrosie, Jul 29, 9:16am
Haven't heard of Jeyes fluid before! What a good idea! But yes you do need to replace the soil or the next rose will NOT be happy!

gem661, Nov 9, 10:19am
I recall Jeyes fluid used for treating ticks on horse and in dog kennels with parvo.