Underfloor heating Hydronic air to water heatpump

missymoo1000, Oct 26, 5:08am
We installed a hydronic underfloor heating system in a 290m new build. The whole slab is heated via an air to water heat pump. The heat pump also does all of our hot water needs. We found it to be pretty economical. This winter we had the internal temperature set to 21 degrees during the day and 17 at night and the power bills didn't seem unreasonable. I can??

missymoo1000, Oct 26, 5:56am
Sorry I didn't know I needed a point? :P

Someone asked me for some more information about this so I created a post. It must have been interesting for you to read it. :)

smallwoods, Oct 26, 6:15am
How much to install?

captaingraham, Oct 26, 7:49am
I am interested

davidt4, Oct 26, 9:01am
I am interested too. Thank you for the report.

lissie, Oct 26, 10:19am
How much to install? What happens when the next major earthquake cracks the slab and breaks the pipes?

planespotterhvn, Oct 26, 4:46pm
Rellies got one for $35,000! Their big home has powerbills of $400. Her brother has a smaller house, normal heatpumps and electric hot water and power bills of $600 per month.

missymoo1000, Oct 26, 8:33pm
Our system installed was less than $20,000. That is for all heating and domestic hot water. We are rural and when we considered the gas instant hot water heaters and the bottles etc it was around the same price. This way we get the benefit from the efficiency of the heat pump and didn't have to run gas lines through the house also (we cook on Induction). We are also about to test the heat pump as cooling for this summer with it cooling the water running through the slab. As for fixing the pipes these can be repaired pretty easily. However, if you are in an earthquake and the slab breaks that much I think you would be looking at a new house so fixing the pipes would be the least of your worries.

underconstructy, Oct 26, 11:33pm
Your system would be even more efficient even you ran it properly. Why would you have a higher temperature during the day than at night that makes no sense.

annies3, Oct 26, 11:33pm
Great information thanks very much, very helpful.

missymoo1000, Oct 27, 2:07am
Why would the system be more efficient running a higher temp at night when the heat is not needed? This doesn't make any sense.

ryanm2, Oct 27, 4:44am
it takes hours for a concrete slab to heat up, so you are probably best o set it up for a higher temp in the morning 2am - 7am for instance then let it slowly cool during the day. This would make a lot of sense especially if you are on a day / night rate.

omamari, Oct 27, 6:07pm
I'll vouch for this. We have an underfloor system heated by a wood burning Marshall heater. In winter we have it on for anywhere between 3 to 8 hours depending on the weather. Never have it on over night. If the house temperature is 22 deg at 10pm then it will be 18 - 20 deg in the am
The drawback with our system is that if we are away for a few days it takes a helluva lot of wood to it the floor up to temp

velenski, Aug 18, 11:58am