Couple of seed questions?

instantly, Sep 7, 12:23am
I planted some nasturtiums outside about 10 days ago and not one of them has come up some are in the garden and some in a pot in a sheltered position. am I just being impatient planted ? next, I have just planted silverbeet, tomato, zucchini and cucumber seeds in trays and am going to put them in a cold frame in a sunny spot am I likely to have any success? I am so sick of seeds not growing for me!

ambo11, Sep 7, 12:37am
Might be too cold. remember summer in NZ lasts from January 1st to January 8th.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 7, 12:43am
Patience.

jonners2013, Sep 7, 12:59am
haha nice one

fantail8, Sep 7, 6:21am
patience. My self seeding nasturtiums have only just popped through in the king country, and they have been sitting in the ground since late summer. Should be ok for silverbeet but the rest it is likely to be too cold

antoniab, Sep 7, 7:18pm
Solanum - tomatoes, eggplant, capsicum etc need heat NOT light to germinate, put them in the hot water cupboard and keep checking them move into the light as soon as they germinate so they don't get stretched :)

maynard9, Sep 7, 8:31pm
Yep my nasturtiums planted 8 days ago just came thru yesterday - and that is in a electrically heated seed germination unit. They do take a while to break thru that hard exterior coating.

instantly, Sep 8, 3:21am
oh so maybe I should have soaked the nasturtiums first and bring the tomatoes inside? I was thinking of putting hot water bottles in the cold frame would that work?

blans, Sep 8, 8:32am
I have just built a heated germinating box 500 square by 250 deep with a single 60 watt bulb and its running at 25c so that should get my tomatoes going

summersunnz, Oct 6, 6:03pm
Love your idea. thanks :-)