Just spent the afternoon fixing my Breville 800ES

johotech, Sep 6, 7:02am
Coffee machine.

My advice to anyone that has a Breville machine, switch them off at the wall when you're not using it.

Breville must have spent all of about $10 researching the power supply design - and came up very much lacking. Consequently, it has components in the circuit which stay hot all the time it is turned on - eventually, they damaged the circuit board.

mm12345, Sep 6, 9:01pm
Yep. The combination of constant high temps and plenty of steam/water around isn't good for electronics. We use our machine on a plug-in timer. Not just for that reason, but it's a larger different style of machine and probably uses a couple of hundred watts (most likely more) electricity to maintain temperature.
I've had mixed experience with Breville as a brand. Aussie design / made in China. They seem to be okay with parts availability for machines like that, but charge high prices for those parts. With home espresso machines, I doubt any other brands at similar prices are any better made, and the more electronic stuff they throw in to them, the worse they're likely to be long-term. Unfortunately, domestic machines made using commercial grade components are expensive.

johotech, Sep 6, 11:07pm
In general, the Breville is quite well made. Solid construction of the casing and reasonably well designed for servicing.

Mine is about 7 year old, so some failure isn't really unexpected.

The main circuit board is well placed in the cabinet to be away from the heat and moisture. The failure in mine was from a power supply resistor which is always energised, producing a small amount of heat all the time, which eventually damaged the circuit board.

The electronics aren't particularly high tech. There is one custom IC with various input & output circuitry and some power regulators, as it basically takes the 230V AC, reduces the voltage with a series RC circuit and another resistor, then rectifys it for the main power to the electronics. Interestingly, the active side of the AC is also the -VE side on the electronics, so the whole circuit is "hot" all the time. All the internal wiring is 230v rated and high temperature wire, so there wasn't any problems with any of the wiring.

Also for anyone looking at fixing one, don't trust any circuit diagrams you find online. Two I found were not 100% accurate, especially for component values.

mm12345, Sep 6, 11:20pm
7 years is remarkably good going. The Ulka vibratory pumps usually crap out before then, or the seals let go in the thermoblock heater and they start leaking.

mrfxit, Sep 9, 12:38am
Sounds just like my ex wife ;-)

mm12345, Sep 9, 3:45am
What?
She broke down - and wouldn't make you a coffee?

taurus2005, Oct 6, 1:19am
Always found Breville products to be crap.