Cost of re roofing house

Page 1 / 2
mada3, May 2, 9:07am
i have a 110sqm house and was wondering the cost of takeing the the old iron off and replacing it with new charcole colour iron.

any ruff estamit of a price?

tiny15, May 2, 9:39am
would depend on the shape of the roof a bit, i.e is it a simple "A" frame where every sheet of iron is the same lenght & only 1 ridge down the middle or are there multiple ridges and valleys needing a lot of sheets cut & leads to wastage . you might want to consider replacing the guttering at the same time if its near the end of its life.
At a guess i would say around $10 000

johotech, May 2, 9:58am
$10k minimum. Maybe $15k max.

cabrio1, May 3, 3:26am
Just had ours done, same size, same colour. $11k ish.

ayjay1, May 3, 4:52am
We just did one in Rotorua for 7k and it worked for us.
Didn't need any safety rails as it was down a right of way. That would have cost an extra grand.

johotech, May 3, 5:23am
So you did it yourself then? You didn't pay a roofer.

And was that coloursteel like OP is asking about?

unclejake, May 3, 7:42am
Ditto. Our 110sqm hip roof in Coloursteel Max was $11k

happymullen, May 4, 12:15am
New colour steel roof this year, $10,300. 110 m. Included edge protection, all rubbish removed, even reattached sky dish! Great job, very efficient and no hassles. Just wish I had been more organised and painted bargeboards whilst edge protection up! did mange to clean out guttering thou!

golfdiver, May 4, 7:49pm
Thanks Sharon. BTW the edge protection would not have been any use for painting as it was pole scaffold only and had no platform.

brightlights60, May 5, 3:38am
How long is a piece of string! I understand why people want a "ballpark figure" but really, the only way to get a price for a large job is to get some quotes! Prices differ so much on materials on Tradesmen around the country, isn't it easier to let your fingers do the walking and just get some prices?

unclejake, May 5, 6:45am
^ Did you actually read the responses? Three different people had a similar job done for between $10 and $11k.

I would have thought that was a very useful bit of 'string', and didn't waste anyone's time who wasn't prepared to volunteer the information

johotech, May 5, 6:50am
Good for leaning the ladder against though, instead of the guttering.

golfdiver, May 5, 9:02am
Check out the scorpro ladders Joho, they would appeal to your sense of ingenuity I think. Especially the stand off and hook over brackets

hassan21, May 6, 3:43am
I got mine done in coloursteel about 3 years ago and it cost just over $10,000, they put scaffolding up with a rail around the edge of the roof for safety and took away all the rubbish.

roys351, May 7, 5:55am
and if they got caught it could have cost you $50.000 for giving them the contract. and cost them the same unless they are a company then the max fine is $200.000

differentthings, May 7, 6:30am
Sister has just had hers done. About 180m2 and it cost $20g

springgrove, May 7, 9:00am
Lucky enough to have a friend who was a builder, cost us 7k. We were very happy with both the price and the job done. Slightly larger house than yours.

dunstanclan21, May 30, 9:13am
all depends normally need new paper and if no netting this needs to be installed

davea74, May 30, 8:53pm
Homeowners are exempt from Health and Safety laws, so unless it was a rental there is no liability for the person giving the contract. The contractor however.

ayjay1, May 31, 4:41am
I used to have a roofing company in Wellington. I put the roof on the Postal centre and did the cladding on the Air conditioning towers on bothe ends.
I have done hundreds of roofs in my life time an I never fell of a roof ever because i was very careful about what I did. I am not knocking the new safety rules but in my opinion the go a bit to far.
I saw a guy in my local service station changing a switch on a pie warmer a while sgo and he was wearing a high Vis vest,A hard hat and there were cones all around him with danger tape around the top of them.
What ever happened to common sense. The thing was not plugged into the power even.
All my working life I have had to assess the danger level on every job I have done jut like any other tradesman. When did we suddenly reach a stage when we were not capable of doing that and needed some tosser in an office to make these decisions for us and waste 1000s of $ of clients money. It has all gone a bit far in my opinion.
Re the roof I also assessed my chances of getting caught and thought it was worth the risk.

roys351, May 31, 5:28am
did you do the job all by yourself or did you order an employee into a dangerous situation?

cagivachick1, May 31, 8:05am
we need a like button

ayjay1, May 31, 8:06am
It wasn't considered a dangerous situation in those days roys.
I never had any issues with the Dept of labor.And no I didn't order
any employee into a dangerous situation and i worked along side of them
almost almost of the time. I didn't order anyone to do anything. We worked as a team and just got on with the job.

ayjay1, May 31, 8:12am
If you are talking about the house roof roys! I did that job with my mate.
These days we work together. If I gave him an order I would get a kick in the butt hahaha.

..pip.., Jun 2, 8:07am
Yea because we all know only careless people have accidents.