Rules with building a deck with covered in pergola

kmsmith, Apr 22, 10:48pm
Hi, we are wanting to build a deck 8.5 metres by 3 metres. It will be 0.8 metres from the ground. As far as I can see this is fine to do without a permit? In addition to this we are wanting to have a pergola/roof covering over 3x3 metres of this so we have a sheltered and non sheltered area. Something else we have heard is that it is ok to have the pergola/roof without a permit if it is attached to the deck by with supporting poles/timber and not attached to the house? We are also wanting to if we can, fully enclose the covered area with windows and a door. Is it ok to do this without a permit if it is against the house but not attached? And lastly, the deck will be coming off our lounge so we will be replacing the existing aluminium windows with ranch sliders or bifolds so are looking out for some the same width as again we have heard that as long as you keep the same width you can cut down to fit fit a door of the same width without a permit? The reason we are trying to avoid having to get a permit (but only if it's legal) is because of the extra cost involved. Any advice on whether we have been told the right things here would be much appreciated. I have rung a few builders but have yet to see one as they are all quite busy. Thank you

johotech, Apr 22, 11:03pm
Deck is fine without consent.
Pergola is fine as it is under 20m2. >>Doesn't make any difference if it is attached to the house.
You aren't allowed to enclose it if it is larger than 5m2 (otherwise you are actually building a room) - and really this only applies to existing patio's or porches.
Replacing the lounge window with a door is fine as long as it is the same size.
Of course all work must comply with the building code.

Getting plans and permits aren't always expensive. For small jobs like yours, you may only be looking at a couple of thousand. Maybe 10% of the whole job.

kmsmith, Apr 22, 11:23pm
Thank you. I wonder if it is classed as enclosing it if we use the plastic clear zip up blinds on the sides instead of windows etc? And I am guessing the pergola roof is allowed to be covered in clearlite/corogate without a permit?

gabbysnana, Apr 23, 3:56am
roof it and it becomes a structure a structure requires consent.

johotech, Apr 23, 5:29am
You are allowed to enclose the ends, as long as it is open at the front. I would be pretty sure that plastic blinds would be fine all around, as they aren't structural.

Yes you are allowed to have a roof.
Technically, that makes it a porch or veranda. A pergola doesn't have a roof. The answers I gave above, were for a porch/veranda - not a pergola.

http://www.dbh.govt.nz/UserFiles/File/Publications/Building/Guidance-information/pdf/building-work-consent-not-required-guidance-3rd-edition.pdf

You would be best to go and discuss with building control at your council just to be sure. There are additional rules about how close to the boundary and site coverage in some areas.

stevo2, Apr 23, 5:53am
What he said^^^^^

rita197, Apr 23, 6:00am
Ring your local council and they will be able to answer your questions.

gabbysnana, Apr 23, 7:22pm
what I said.

apollo11, Apr 24, 4:50am
The rules have been changed gabbysnana. You are also allowed to build a car port without consent as long as it meets building code. A mate of mine used old pallet timber to build his car port and the council inspector wasn't impressed.

bluecat1529, Apr 24, 8:12pm
Read Schedule One. It spells out what you can and can't do http://www.dbh.govt.nz/bc-no-consent-schedule-1

mrfxit, Apr 25, 1:47am
To be more specific .
1st PDF on the link ( Building work that does not require a building consent (third edition 2014))
Exception 1 / General, (Exemption work, leads on to non exemption work)

mrfxit, Apr 25, 2:03am
Further down that PDF is this

"An owner wishes to alter a 28 square metre pergola attached to her house by
ftting clear polycarbonate roofng material to the structure. As the pergola will
be roofed, it will not be covered by this exemption. The addition of the roof will
turn it into a veranda but, as its area is greater than 20 square metres, it will not
be covered by exemption 17 (porches and verandas) either and will require
a building consent.
A garden centre wants to erect several pergolas covered in plastic sheeting
to provide shelter for customers in the outside courtyard. The addition of the
plastic covering to form a closed roof and walls means that the structures are no
longer pergolas for the purpose of this exemption and a building consent will be
required."

apollo11, Jan 25, 9:50am
OP only wants to build a 9 m2 pergola/veranda , well under 20 m2 allowed.