Chinese light fittings

deepblue55, Nov 2, 9:44pm
i just asked a trader for an sdoc (supplier declaration of conformity - required by an electrician to sign off on a job) and they said they didnt have one (it was for some dimmable led downlights).

im guessing they just buy them on aliexpress and on-sell them here

has anyone found a trader that provides sdocs with their LED lights? or anyone who has bought them on aliexpress and worked out the sdoc process (ie completed the sdoc application, attached the CCC / CE certification and got approval)

vivac, Nov 3, 5:25am
They legally have 10 days to provide you with a sDoc.
If they cant or wont it can lead to a world of hurt for them.
Energy safety would be a good place to contacting.

nzjay, Nov 3, 9:44am
Quite true. it is illegal to sell or install non-compliant fittings. You would be doing other unsuspecting purchasers a favour by reporting the seller.

nzjay, Nov 3, 9:46am
. and if you bought them on TradeMe, report to them as well. you may? get your money back.

fordcrzy, Nov 4, 6:02am
congratulations. you just voided your insurance.

sboydnz, Nov 5, 4:33am
I don't think so. The connecting Electrician would be responsible. I would say its the Electricians responsibility to chase up the SDOC, if it hasn't been supplied, if he goes ahead & connects then the onus is on him. That would be how I would interpret it. The Electrician should NOT connect until the supplier provides the SDOC, if they fail to do so then as another poster has suggested Energy safety would be the people to approach.

russ18, Nov 5, 4:46am
Electrical wholesalers, lighting direct, lighting plus, mitre 10, bunnings etc etc.

russ18, Nov 5, 5:03am
An electrician can safely and legally connect a light fitting without an sdoc but he is then responsible for it and things could get very messy if there's a problem and the fitting's found to not comply with the required standard.
An sdoc can be taken as proof of compliance and removes all responsibility . even if you know it will burn the house down!
NZ manufacturer or importer must have an sdoc available.

t_naki, Aug 8, 10:55am
If an electrician installs a fitting without a sDoC then the fitting will be covered by his DoC he does when doing the work. The electrician is just covering his bottom in the case where the light does not comply with the standards. The person you bought the fittings of is legally required to supply you with a sDoC within 10 working days. If they do not then I would be reporting them to TradeMe and the Energy Safety Service very promptly so that no others get caught up in this. Try and get your money back first!