A point of water

busybeaver2, Dec 6, 3:16am
is a unit of measure for water, old school I know but what is it actually ? in imperial or metric flow rate per day

spider47, Dec 6, 3:37am
I looked up google and only find freezing and boiling points, no units of measure. interesting question. All the irrigation bits were trade name related.

zaankanter, Dec 6, 3:40am
Depends on the supply, but 'usually' 400 gallons per day (or about 1,818L per day).

samanya, Dec 6, 3:51am
I get one unit per day & was told it was around 1,800 litres. That's for the moment, restrictions on already!

gbking, Dec 6, 4:14am
it was a measurement of rainfall 1 point, or 1/100th of an inch prior to 1970

annies3, Dec 6, 5:20am
Correct where we live it is supplied from a water scheme and restricted to whatever you have paid for at the tank, ie 1 point or more I think even half a point is possible, it is quite a lot of water enough to supply our household and all stock, the tank is fitted with a ballcock type valve which stops the water when it floats the ball, but you can have as many or as large a tank as you want, providing the flow is still restricted to your correct amount per day.

zaankanter, Dec 6, 6:17am
Yes, in the our district we have 600L/d, 909L/d, 1,000L/d and 1,818L/d 'units' or 'points', depending on the supply you are on - if in doubt check with your supplier.

nzjay, Jul 12, 4:01pm
This is correct. It's to do with measuring rainfall, each 'point' on the scale was 1/100 of an inch.