I may have poisioned my Dahlia's -advice please

racheal77, Oct 15, 5:49am
so we have convolvulus in our garden, for years I have tried different methods to kill it. This year I put some gel weed killer on the new leaves popping up - now I see that some of the new growth on several dahlia's near by doesn't look happy. can they be saved? I have watered them very well several times to try and flush it away but don't know if its to late. So angry with myself right now for being so stupid!

maclad, Oct 15, 6:00am
That is easily done so do not feel bad. I always try to remove convolvulus by trying to follow the roots back to their source as long as there is not too much. All you can do now is wait and see what happens, nothing else you can do. Your dahlias may suffer for a season if the treatment was not too harsh and hopefully next year may be OK. Meantime give them lots of TLC

annies3, Oct 15, 6:15am
Was the gel roundup ? because unless you actually touched the gel onto the dahlia leaves the roundup will not affect them, maybe your dahlias have had some cold mornings.

racheal77, Oct 15, 6:20am
It was McGregors Woody & Bulbous Weed Killer - designed for hard to kill things like bamboo, agapanthus etc . so Im guessing pretty potent

maclad, Oct 15, 6:25am
Oh dear, guess you will have to wait for time to tell but does not sound good. Maybe getting rid of affected plants and replacing them with new ones is a very good option.

annies3, Oct 15, 8:13am
Gosh that sounds as though your poor dahlias are on their way out then, I wouldn't put that type of plant in that place again.

dannydonut, Oct 15, 9:09am
Could you lift the tubers and move them to limit any more uptake of the poison?

racheal77, Oct 15, 10:01am
I was wondering this, guess it wont do any harm?

texastwo, Oct 15, 10:16pm
Hi,Believe me it takes a lot to kill Dahlias but you could try digging up the worst affected tubers and washing them with water

racheal77, Oct 15, 10:42pm
that's interesting to know thanks, you know when you spray lawn weeds and the leaves sort of curl up and thicken? that's what some of them have done

nzoomed, Oct 15, 10:55pm
I dont think you would have poisoned the plants unless you directly had gel contact with their leaves.

maclad, Oct 16, 3:26am
The product you used is a pretty hard out weed killer and from your description of the damage the dahlias are suffering. You may well lose them and no amount of washing soil off will help now as the spray is in their system. It is too late. However, move them should you choose to, it is possible they may not die but will be sick and sad for a year. Next year they may recover, and you have nothing left to lose now. I have seen plants recover from damage like this tho it took along time and herbaceous plants like dahlia are very susceptible to weed killers.

racheal77, Oct 16, 7:09am
Yep I think you are right, didn't have the problem last year when I used ordinary weed killer but this is not for ordinary weeds. I got a bit excited about the fact it killed convolvulus and didn't think properly. Anyway I have seen a café au lait for sale tonight so can replace that. What are peoples thoughts on planting in the same place? Ok if I remove and replace soil or a no go?

racheal77, Oct 16, 7:10am
x1
The bloody convolvulus really is the bane of my life!

summersunnz, Oct 16, 11:15am
I saw an article recently about growing dahlia's from cuttings - try that too - and hope your plants are ok.

maclad, Aug 30, 10:03am
In the same area is not a good idea at least for several months even with soil replaced. Herbaceous plants are very susceptible.