What's the best support for standard roses?

3ofeach, Nov 28, 11:32am
I have a row of iceberg standard roses, first year in and they look absolutely gorgeous and heavy with flowers. Lately we have had a bit of wind and I've just noticed that the wooden stakes I've put in to support them have all snapped at the base. I've only used one stake per plant but I now know that is not enough. What is best to support them! What do you use! TIA

dmcjmo, Nov 28, 7:00pm
I use warratahs.

countrybumpkinz, Nov 28, 7:07pm
I also use warratahs.

3ofeach, Nov 28, 8:05pm
Thanks for the replies, warratahs sound like the way to go. How many warratahs do you use! Is one enough! Those supports look good piquant. Are they available for purchase anywhere!

piquant, Nov 28, 8:16pm
Well, they should be but I gather a new distribution agent has just been appointed to take effect at the end of the financial year. In the meantime, if you can't find them - contact Phil direct on phil@kiwi-ideas.co.nz. He has some awesome safety glasses as well - ask him!

maclad, Nov 29, 4:24am
I have seen stakes for standard roses that are about 4 feet high and about 1" square. They have a metal circle at the top which is removable so that a foam insert can be put in around the stem to protect it from rubbing. They work well but do not know where to purchase and quess expensive but so are waratah stakes and these are far more asthetic.

piquant, Nov 29, 5:05am
Sorry, 3 of each, my message was deleted because I put in a contact in case you couldn't find them. Try good gardening outlets and mention they are specific ties foruse with waratahs.

bugin, Nov 29, 9:23am
Steel is a bit ugly esp.if it goes rusty.Why not a treated 50x 50 pointed stake.
You might need to make a pilot hole with a crowbar first,we have to on our stoney ground.

mokaumoi, Nov 29, 9:42am

pj80, Dec 1, 4:04am
x1
The rose stakes at www.growingthings.co.nz come in green too , hardly see them and really strong and supposed to last the life of the rose, worth checking out.

tried_&_true, May 24, 9:47pm
Ascot standard rose stakes available from really good garden stores or www.growingthings.co.nz are steel but galvanised so rust not a problem and come in green to camouflage in, have a unique simple clip system which makes them easy to use.