Fill cracks and holes in cedar weatherboards

friendly_prawn, Dec 4, 3:22am
Hi guys, can anyone tell me what products are best to use to fill small holes, such as knot holes in cedar weatherboard and bigger holes like where pipes go through the wall.
I'm told silicones are old hat and to stay away from them. I'm told polymers and epoxy products are the way to go but no one can give me an actual product. I rang selly's and they recommended a weatherboard sealant they have but it cant be stained over so that rules that out. Any thoughts please?

budgel, Dec 4, 4:56am
I used epoxy resin with marine filler powder added, to about a peanut butter consistency. I painted where it was to go with a little unthickened epoxy before I added the filler powder to the mix. This gives good adhesion. Epoxy takes a while to go off, so it may take a couple of applications to get a decent build and finish.

newtec1, Dec 4, 7:08am
Are they painted bds or natural.If they are painted you could try a product called caulk-in-colours, comes in a tube like most things,is water based and when you put it on you leave it proud of the hole and cut the excess of when it sets.it can also be painted over.It is a flexible product and made for W/Bds unlike silicon which is mainly a poly sealer.

cagivachick1, Dec 4, 7:25am
wouldnt recomend caulk in colours, if you want a epoxy filler look at Mapei Kerapoxy tile grout, lots of colours and reasonably cheap at $35 ish for 2.5kg

friendly_prawn, Dec 4, 9:52am
cheers guys. As JMMA pointed out. needs to be something stain can soak in too.

budgel, Dec 5, 5:33am
Sorry, I overlooked that as I ended up painting mine because the stain was lesss than satisfactory.

friendly_prawn, Jul 13, 7:16am
no worries. A friend has found a great stain to use and its an NZ made product and half the price of other productcs. yeah many stains are crap. it is hard to find one that does the job well.