String of pearls

Page 1 / 2
oh_hunnihunni, Sep 23, 3:05am
Some months back through the kind generosity of a poster here I acquired a longed for string of pearls which I planted in a tiny hanging glass terrarium. The plant loved its new home and did well, but the thing I didn't expect was buds.
Can't wait till they open!

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/413935059.jpg

maclad, Sep 23, 4:14am
They are not very exciting just look like white fluff basically, but glad it flowers for you and pleased you are enjoying it. Growing anything is so fulfilling and I find it to be good therapy when I'm stressed.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 23, 6:57am
I agree, except when aquascaping a new tank. Stress aint the half of it, lol.

speights40, Sep 23, 8:18pm
I have been searching for this plant as I would love to start one. Can you please tell me where you got it? does it grow from cuttings?

speights40, Sep 23, 8:20pm
I am also looking (without success) for a donkey's tail (Burros Tail) cutting or plant if anyone knows where I can get one. Thank you.

koru67, Sep 23, 9:07pm
Nicely planted!

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 23, 9:57pm
It has become strangely fashionable over the past few months - I've even seen the plastic version in Freedom! I ordered one from Kings and was on a very long waiting list when a very kind poster here offered cuttings of her big one to another poster and several of us cheekily jumped in with 'me too' responses. Since then I've seen several plants here at silly prices, so once mine does its flowering thing I'll take a string and pay my debt back if you like - watch this space. As for burros tail - me too! They are listed here fairly often as small ones, I'll be getting one to add to the collection next time I deserve a treat. And once my aquarium is fully stocked.
One obsession at a time!

speights40, Sep 24, 1:55am
Oh thank you, I'd love a cutting. I have tried all the shops & garden centres in my town with no luck. 2 of them looked like I was from the moon when I asked if they had a small Donkey's (or Burro's) tail plant. All but one was familiar with String Of Pearls but had not seen them around for a while.

zak410, Sep 24, 6:14am
Is that the one you mean?
http://iforce.co.nz/i/llem10ej.uem.jpg

sorry, neglected plant and bad picture, but if it is they grow from one 'jelly bean' and will be quite happy to put a couple in an envelope and send if somehow can get the destination.

same for you hunni of course.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 24, 6:42am
Yay! Far be it from me to break TM rules, but if you were to list an auction for me I'd be bidding with the greatest pleasure, thank you! Or there's the Q&A function on my auctions.

I'm getting quite good at growing things from cuttings. In fact those two fat leaves I accidentally knocked off the floral display at my local cafe are doing really well. Might be a few years off getting great sprays of glorious rose like blossoms like the ones in the big glass vase on our table, but I live in hope. And for the picky people - yes, I did ask first, lol!

speights40, Sep 24, 7:06am
That's the one and thank you so much.

I think if you do a 50cent buy now we get to exchange details. I would be happy to pay the postage + trademe fees.

kay141, Sep 24, 7:11am
I think a few of us would be happy to buy one or more. I would.

speights40, Sep 24, 7:14am
Yikes they will be popular. I have to go off now until tomorrow, please save me an auction if you do any until the morning & let me know when you do it. Thanks so much I have been after starting one of these for ages.

sinclairsouth, Sep 24, 7:17am
Hi Hunnihunni, here I go again! I also have a pot full of Burro's Tail and oodles of babies which are growing like mad. Must be e.s.p. because I came across your address along with the others I sent Pearl to some time ago. If you are interested I'll despatch a heap off to you in the next day or two - same with anyone else who is interested. Sadly the tuber you sent me copped it from a heavy frost even though I had it in the tunnelhouse - win some, lose some!

sinclairsouth, Sep 24, 7:35am
Sorry - forgot to mention - Speights40 if you can get your postal address to me I will send you cuttings of both plants which you are looking for (Pearl and Burro's Tail).

kay141, Sep 24, 7:38am
I'd love some, too, but not sure how to get my address to you without an auction.

sinclairsouth, Sep 24, 7:55am
It will become very "Clear" - just check my profile!

zak410, Sep 24, 8:09am
Cool, great to see gardeners are so generous.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 24, 8:32am
Whoopee - party time on my windowsill, lol. In amongst the black tomatoes, freckles lettuces (the BEST tasting of all! ), and my tender gerkin babies.

I might need another terrarium. And hanging them gets round my 'no more junk' rule eh?

Gardeners are the very best people.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 24, 8:33am
Hmmmm. I might just know where there's another lily.

speights40, Sep 24, 11:13pm
Hi, I emailed very early this morning, as I wasn't on last night. Hoping you got it ok? Thank you.

spiritofgonzo, Sep 25, 5:14pm
You guys are awesome! I've actually been looking for the old string of hearts plant. Used to be able to get it everywhere. I don't suppose someone has a piece of that they could list?

koru67, Sep 27, 8:33am
I received the Kings Plant Barn email on Friday with a link to the top 5 hanging house plants . drumroll please . you guys must all know something

5. Ivy
4. Sedum Morganianum (Burro??

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 27, 9:39pm
Chain of hearts is on my list and I have a favourite Kings store, so thank you. Tahitian bridal veil is a great bathroom plant, I've had it in the past and it was great. Pity my bathroom is too small these days.

speights40, Sep 28, 11:36pm
That's a pretty one too. I was just down at Ashburton Boulvard Day where a lovely guy was selling all sorts of plants, he didn't have the two I am after of course (Murphy's Law) but will be taking some to Riccarton Market (Christchurch) this coming weekend. It's a bit far for me to go but anyone else wanting them might find them there. I am afraid I may have missed out on sinclairsouth's generous offer by not being on line the night they were offered as I haven't had a reply to my email sadly. So I am still wanting them if anyone can help.