How to change stove element?

trogedon, Jul 30, 11:38pm
We have an old Kelvinator in which the grill element has 'gone'. I've removed the element bolts (including grinding off a bolt head that was stuck!). Where to get a replacement (Auckland) and how to remove / replace?

kam04, Jul 31, 12:26am
Same old story, if you don't know how, you shouldn't be doing it.

propagator, Jul 31, 1:47am
When we had a similar problem a few years ago even the electrician had a problem so I'm assuming it's not an easy job.

trogedon, Jul 31, 2:39am
Well, that's a defeatist attitude and one that doesn't entice learning / achieving for one's self. I put a wink emoticon to show I'm keeping it funky.

tmenz, Jul 31, 4:47am
Fisher and Paykel should be able to supply a replacement - ring their parts department 0800 247 746 and quote the model name/number.
Then take out a mortgage.
If you get the part number, then you can check around various suppliers and here on Trademe to find the best price!
What is the model name/number - I have some old F&P parts manuals to hand!

e.g. for RA610 series stoves:
Grill element = p/n 572396
Grill/bake assist element = p/n 572020

kam04, Jul 31, 7:16am
I'm a sparky and have replaced a few and know what is involved. Someone delving into something they know nothing about can be very dangerous. I know of one DIY who killed himself in front of his wife and two very young children by doing his own range repairs. Nothing to do with defeatism at all my friend!

trogedon, Jul 31, 9:14am
I appreciate what you're saying and there are certain things I wouldn't do - like permanent wiring for example but if we're too scared to do things then DIYers won't change stove top elements. or light bulbs.

trogedon, Jul 31, 9:14am
Thanks for this information = very helpful.

lythande1, Jul 31, 7:39pm

cantabman1, Jul 31, 8:53pm
Agrees 100%
But there will always be "the Darwinites" of this world [ex Appliance retailer]

kam04, Aug 1, 1:20am
No comparison - Changing lamps and replacing elements. One involves disconnecting and reconnecting wiring. If these are the sort of comparisons you make then it becomes even scarier. Do you know the consequences if you get it wrong? The guy I mentioned in my previous post replaced an element as well. He turned the stove on to test it and it was all over. He ended up livening the body of the stove, the main earth on the stove was broken off - hence no fuse blowing. Who uses the stove mainly in your house. Why do you think that we (sparkies/appliance repair people) need to be registered and hold a licence to carry out this work. Hey, I'm all for it when it comes to DIY and I will try most things but there are limits.

cabrio1, Aug 1, 6:01am
You tube it, heaps of easy to follow tutorials on there. Just did.
Just replaced my washing machine drum bearings the same way after being told by a professional it's a waste of time.
Cost me $60. And I now know a lot more about washing machines.
He said it would cost $450 before backing out from the job.
Changed elements in the past also, last time I checked I was still alive.

masturbidder, Aug 1, 6:12am
Normally fairly straightforward if you can get the replacement parts, although the prices are horrendous.
The usual problem is wires breaking off when you move them, due to the heat.

cantabman1, Nov 8, 2:54am
Washers are a lot safer to work with, with less of a chance to electrocute yourself, but wiring on ovens is another matter.
I'm also all for DIY when it is safe to do so, infact , today i replaced two sheets of iron on a roof having never done anything like that before.