Taking cuttings from roses?

bubbles22222, Apr 25, 12:13am
My parents moved 12 years ago from there place at this time of year and i took cuttings from roses. I suggest taking more than one. cutting from the same rose. My roses are in pots every since and still going strong. I have all rose types from miniatures to high big ones.

ruby2shoes, Apr 25, 3:48am
Yes, take a number of cuttings, and get a variety from different parts of the rose. I raise mine in river sand, leave them in a sheltered spot for around a year, and repot to potting mix before planting out. You have just reminded me to go back to my old place and get some cuttings this weekend. Thanks!

dbab, Apr 25, 5:01am
I have read recently to stick the cutting into a potato. Might be worth a try.

http://www.amateurgardening.com/home/taking-rose-cuttings/

ritebuy, Apr 25, 5:21am
take plenty of cuttings and put willow branch in with the water When you take the cutting place them in a bucket with the willow water/ It works because the willow has ascetic ascid same as asprin and will keep the ends of the cutting open ie wont close over and die before they grow roots.After a week or so put them in to river sand or cutting mix.

maclad, Apr 25, 5:31am
Can you not take the plant with you? Perhaps replace the original with another since you like it so much. With care it should shift at this time of year but take cuttings off it as well when you prune it back for its transplant or repot. That way you have a better chance of success.
I took heaps of plants when I moved and as long as they all identified in the garden and prospective purchasers are aware then you are within your rights to take it.

piquant, Apr 25, 9:01am
Alternatively - is the rose still available? Might it not be just as easy to procure another plant?

grouch, Apr 26, 3:11am
I have just taken cuttings from a rose that I have in the garden but intend to move house. I googled it. I cut a stalk off where a flower had previously been, trimmed off all the leaves, dipped it in hormone rooting solution and poked it in sand and then watered it. Hoping it takes. Its a beautiful fragrant rose and too big to take with me.

breness, Apr 26, 3:27am
Here's my method.
Take good strong cuttings. Dip them in honey and then rooting hormone powder ( I use Murphys).
For potting medium I use river sand and a small amount of potting soil mixed well together.
I use a pencil or such to make a hole in the soil and put cutting in. Tamp it down around the cutting and water gently. Keep moist but not wet after that.
I had an 80% strike from the rose cuttings I took when we moved from our last house.
Good luck with your endeavours and happy gardening

piquant, Apr 26, 7:37am
Is it a bush, rambler or climber? Is it a hybrid tea, english or old rose? Identify it if you possibly can as - the one that came to mind was a climber called "Birthday Present". Unfortunately, this rose needs to be grafted so even if you did take cuttings, there is no guarantee they would take. This is not the case with all roses - some are really easy to strike. Do you have any pictures?

5425, Apr 26, 7:58am
I have cuttings with growth about 2" of the main stem , used a rooting hormone about a month ago. When can I take out of seedling greenhouse [$10 bunnings]. and transfer to size 2 pots.?.

breness, Apr 26, 8:11am
I would be a bit careful. If the growth on the top is leaves you will probably not have roots on the cuttings. A month doesn't sound long enough to me. Your cuttings have more than likely just sent out the growth as do some flower stems when you have them in a vase indoors.
Worst thing you could do is be tempted to give them a tug to see if they have taken.
My humble advice would be to wait at least until the spring and leave them where they are until then.
Good luck and happy gardening

bev00, Jan 24, 12:59pm
good time to do the cuttings