Installing toilet - anything on seals?

rbd, Jul 5, 4:47am
I'm installing a new toilet. Is it appropriate to put anything on the rubber seal around the outlet? It is a P trap type so I'll be sliding the assembled toilet up to the wall.

This toilet model is flush (gettit?gettit?) with the wall so I'll also be working blind cause the cistern has to be installed first. I have to assume that once in it is not leaking, no direct view through the side holes.

Finally is it normal for the shape of the pan and cistern to be absolutely rubbish? It is an "Ideal Standard" model with a midrange price. Awful fit of the cistern on top of the pan.

I'd take the cistern back to swap if it hadn't been sitting in the garage awaiting install for three years. :-)

wembley1, Jul 5, 7:01am
I'd ask here: http://www.plumbers.co.nz/forum/

I'm sure they would tell you what to do.

oliver6, Jul 5, 9:43am
I would put grease around the outlet. I am not sure what grease plumbers use but anything to lubricate the joint will enable you to slide it in easier than dry.

budgel, Jul 6, 8:44am
I've successfully used a little vaseline. Yes, the pan-cistern fit is often irregular with ceramic cisterns. That grindy sound can put your teeth on edge!

pauldw, Jul 6, 10:25am
Some detergent or water based pipe lube would be better than a petroleum jelly on rubber.

unclejake, Jul 6, 10:42am
^ Agreed. Repco sell small tubes of rubber grease which would be perfect.

budgel, Nov 29, 1:53am
You are correct, but the seals arent rubber, they are a plastic.