Turning carport into garage

tdf_, Oct 13, 9:18am
Hi there. Chch based and I have a carport with a consent, I want to clad it up and turn it into a garage. The CCC consent forms look a hell of a nightmare, anyone ever filled one out?

tintop, Oct 13, 9:28am
Filled in the walls instead - and put in a roller door. :)

nzjay, Oct 13, 9:32am
I don't think you can close it in without another consent. You may be able to partly close it in by "screens" (that don't go all the way to either the ground or the roof) possibly. A good builder may be able to advise you as to how far you can go without invoking a consent requirement.

tdf_, Oct 13, 9:44am
yeah, to my understanding one side must remain permanently open to not need a consent, but of course i want a garage door on it. the forms just so confusing to fill out!

goose29, Oct 13, 7:05pm
I think you can put a lockable gate on it. Not 100 % sure though but that would be a similar solution.

nzjay, Oct 13, 9:25pm
You should be able to put a garage door on it but not likely to be able to completely close it in. There are ways around this with "screens" rather than walls.

gennie, Aug 31, 7:06am
I know someone in the chch area who has 2 carports. He said carports could only have 3 sides max which is basically what differentiates them from a garage. His carports are side by side with his 3 sides being the individual roller doors and one side and the back. The two sides that aren't enclosed happen to be next to each other and only about 50cm apart. There is a lovely rose growing on a trellis at the front of carports between them (so between the 2 roller doors). From the street it looks like a garage.