What tape to use to graph a broken branch together

clivehell, Sep 25, 5:02am
Is there a special one that stays on and holds till the branch is
alright again?And is waterproof in the rain.
Thanks.

skin1235, Sep 25, 6:36am
grafting tape at the garden center, or wrap in silage tape and remove mid season if the branch is showing signs of swelling by the tape

edit

most grafting tape still needs grafting wax around the wound, tape alone will not keep water and dirt out

clivehell, Sep 25, 6:51am
My two pups have split 2 branches on two trees.Small ones.One is the
white Kaka Beak which is only about 1/2 m high and has got flowers on
all of the 7 branches so I am trying to save the branch especially.
I will see if Mitre 10 has any of that tape tomorrow. thanks.

annies3, Sep 25, 7:02am
If your branch still has some attachment to the rootstock just carefully place it in as near perfect position as possible then I have used a fine sliver of wood to splint the break so it is stable, I have used all sorts of tape even cellotape but the secret is to do it asap before the broken piece has started drying out, you need to remove the tape only when growth is normal and before the tape gets too tight, good luck,
I am carefully watching a young apple tree which I grafted originally onto a rootstock, it was snapped off just a wee bit above ground level, there was only a small piece of bark still attached, I stood it up in position and staked it some six months ago, it is still struggling but is still live I am watching for the leaves to sprout this spring, I am pretty sure it isn't going to have blossom this time, but fingers crossed it survives, the join is thickened now.

clivehell, Sep 25, 7:26am
Thanks also annies3.
Might see if I can try that one.At least the tree is a couple of feet tall so hubby shouldn't run it over with the lawnmower. while I am giving it TLC.

kaylin, Sep 25, 8:28am
I have a double grafted fruit tree. Last year it snapped in half, one graft sheering off and leaving about an inch of loose bark attached at the bottom.
I used a stretchy crepe bandage that I use for the horse's leg. It worked great. So surprising, it was the broken half that fruited last year.
The bandage stretched and stuck back on itself.

briantamaki-god, Sep 25, 11:07am
i would use a hb pencil to graph it

katelin1, Sep 19, 5:57pm
Basically you want anything that is going to hold the branches together, until they hopefully graft/callous back together. Black insulation tape would be useful as it would provide a warm, dry environment for the two pieces to bond together. Try to match the bark and underneath cambium layer back together as closely as possible so that the two pieces successfully bond.