Oxalis

joojanna, Oct 10, 4:50am
I have been helping clear out a garden that is full of oxalis, I thought about trying Ronstar? I've heard Rude recommend it, is it any good or is there anything better, it's for someone who doesn't have a lot of money so I don't want to suggest something that's not so good. I have also been told that a mix of white vinegar and baking soda is quite good but not sure of the quantities or the procedure. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

anne1955, Oct 10, 5:21am
I too have spent half a day cutting, pulling and 'trying to be rid of this in another's garden. And an Ivy that is running rampant, enough the twitch but add the other two damn things. And said to owner other day, exercise in futility! And made worse by neighbouring places both side not keeping their side clean/clear of such. Use to be peed off with onion plants and yes know we can at least eat them.
But oxalis and ivy. will watch to see what others reply, have seen threads on it here before.

nzmax, Oct 10, 5:57am
Oxalis is a bulb, and every single little bulb left behind will send out shoots and make new baby bulbs. Think how hard it is to rid an area of garden of gladioli, daffodils or other wanted bulb plants. Some good information here
http://www.gardenews.co.nz/oxalis.htm

wildwest3, Oct 11, 1:44am
Baking Soda, and keep repeating.

digmen1, Oct 11, 5:11am
And when you have found out how to kill it.
You need to know when you can re-sew grass seed.

No one ever tells us that?
Two week?
A month?
Six months?

samanya, Oct 11, 6:11am
Not all Oxalis is a bulb.
http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/learning/colleges/college-of-sciences/clinics-and-services/weeds-database/creeping-oxalis.cfm
I have a heap in my garden & fortunately? it's the creeping sort, & round up takes care of it.
I'd suggest that the OP does some research to ascertain what sort they have. If it is the bulbous type, it's a bigger mission to get rid of the damned stuff.

nzmax, Oct 11, 6:34am
I have learnt something new today about the creeping variety. Agree about the bulb variety, its definitely not a "1 time effort and all fixed" situation. At my last place it took 5years of being super vigilant to get rid of it. Let it get too far ahead just once and you are pretty much back to square one.

mottly, Oct 13, 6:21am
Forget about it. We've tried everything for 25 years, nothing really works. We're lucky enough to have 3 varieties of it :(

dingo011, Aug 29, 7:17pm
We moved house and left it behind. Ten years of trying to get rid of the damned stuff and as soon as you relaxed it was back. Best thing is to pretend that you planted it for the pretty flowers, that way it is no longer a weed!