Glass shower door

cwag, Sep 14, 11:27pm
Has anyone had experience with having an after market finish put on their glass shower door to stop soap scum etc?

sylvia, Sep 16, 5:02am
Yes we have done it in two homes. Water Stain Doctor polished down the glass and then applied the Nanoorotect coating. Wonderful result and we keep it good by drying off after showering - if you don't do this then water with minerals in it will just start marking again eventually.

madam127, Sep 18, 6:20am
I think a lot of people are under the impression that once done, they never have to bother with cleaning the shower again. Simply isn't true, there is maintenance involved. Do this for a job, and often end up restoring shower glass that has been treated in the past. Best way to stop soap scum is to not use soap!

nauru, Sep 18, 6:35am
Simple solution to soap scum is don't use soap, shower gel is way better. Then all it needs is a wipe down after each shower and it's good as new.

mustu, Sep 19, 9:14am
2nd that! Simple & easy.

rojill, Sep 19, 9:37am
Use a good brand of car paint rubbing compound on the glass shower panels - it will soon rid them of soap scum and polish the glass at he same time. Just rinse with water and blade off.

jane310567, Sep 20, 4:21am
we have had it done - not recommended. It lasted 12 mths! Got them back to do it again - same result - followed what they said. The only thing I wasn't prepared to do is wipe it down after every shower! What is the point in getting the coating if you have to do this. I use Enjo cleaning cloths now and no issues. Occasionally I use the Shower Power or Doktor Power from the warehouse. Both are very effective at cleaning any stubborn water marks. I find chch water very hard.

les6, Sep 22, 4:13am
we had it done 5yrs or more ago and for the sake of a quick rinse, scrape down with a squeegee and a dry wipe with a microfiber cloth that hangs on a hook in there, shower good still looks as good as the day it went in?

fordcrzy, Sep 23, 2:09am
Spend hundreds and hundreds on a coating that requires more care than if it had no coating? you must be joking! when we saw the price and the looooong list of care instructions we decided it was probably cheaper to replace the glass every 10 years. (or just polish the glass every couple of years)

jonners2013, Sep 23, 2:25am
if you clean the glass regularly from day one and don't let heaps of soap scum build up in the first place, then it doesn't become an issue.

gennie, Sep 23, 3:56am
We had our showers treated with diamond fusion when we installed them over 5 years ago. They still look like new. The only maintenance involved is about every 2 weeks while in the shower they get a squirt with diluted dishwashing liquid and a quick rub over with a scratchy mit (like the ones you can buy for scrubbing potatoes - the guy who treated the showers left the mits for us) and then a quick rinse (easy if you have a hand held nozzle). No squeegees or drying off showers ever needed.

jane310567, Sep 23, 4:29am
gennie - that sounds amazing!
jonners and fordcrzy - agree!

fordcrzy, Sep 23, 5:52am
we got quotes for our two brand new showers and it was $600+ EACH for brand new showers never used. no polishing required. then they rattled off the list of things to do like squeegee after every shower etc. like DUH! if we wanted to dry the shower down after every time why bother getting the coating?

lissie, Sep 23, 6:47am
LOL and does anyone actually do that?

jonners2013, Sep 23, 6:51am
Yep. It's nice having a moderately clean house. I'm definitely not anal about cleaning at all. But a once a week spay of something like Shower Power or any of those soap scum products, and a quick wipe and your shower is clean. It's not exactly onerous.

biggles45, Sep 22, 1:57am
We wipe our down after every use, and it gets a proper clean weekly. Can't understand why people don't bother, it only takes a few seconds and keeps it looking nice.