Fridge/freezer Probs

Page 1 / 2
bettylee, Nov 25, 6:28am
Hello, have a Boche fridge - has freezer on top. the top two tiers seem to have lost it's 'freezing' capabilities! anyone have any idea why this would happen. It's not stuffed with food - any ideas who much it would cost for a repair person to look at it ! and hourly charge to fix it! and light in the fridge not working. . i'm exhausted just thinking about it. any ideas would be appreciated. on a single mothers budget!

t_naki, Nov 25, 5:32pm
The fridge light is most likely just a blown lamp but the other would need a bit of investigating. How old is the fridge, if it is old then I have found that it is often cheaper to buy a second hand fridge than try to repair.

bettylee, Nov 26, 12:27pm
I'm not sure, I bought it off Trademe, from someone who was moving overseas, she has a sticker left on it for last maintenance was 2010, the fridge looks new . I bought it last year, and stored it for about 9months before using it - how much would it cost to have someone look at it!

tahnasha, Nov 26, 1:29pm
Could it need regassing!

cantabman1, Nov 26, 7:39pm
If your freezer is loosing temp, then it may very well be a gass leak.
The repair is in the hundreds im sorry to say. call out fees vary from approx fifty dollars upwards depending on where you live.

countryart, Nov 27, 2:30am
Could need re-gassing. Could be Freezer fan broken or not working properly. Probably not worth doing. Fan on my freezer quote to fix $220.
Advised once before re-gassing not viable. Check my auctions for a goodlargecheap replacement. Roger

planespotterhvn, Nov 28, 3:27am
Frost build up behind back panel in the interior of the freezer compartment.

bettylee, Nov 28, 7:48am
wow, i've only used it for a month maybe - lower part of the freezer still works - if re-gassing issue could that affect only part of the freezer! $220 to re-gas is cheaper than a new fridge I don't have the budget for

bettylee, Nov 28, 7:52am
so could it still be a gas leak if there lower part of the freezer is still working! live in central auckland / grey lynn

myboylollipop, Nov 28, 8:19pm
bettylee: this is the number to a really fantastic electrician,his call out fee is $48 and he only charges me for parts 0211703520.

elect70, Nov 29, 4:21am
Definatley loss of refrigeraantif itsCFC freeunit, ( R134,)& in otherwise good nicka can beregassed around $150 -200 butnogarantee it will last .Leak too small to find & usually its internal .

bettylee, Nov 29, 9:14pm
thanks so much for that - I will call him

bettylee, Dec 14, 6:48am
called this guy - unfortunately he doesn't deal with bosch repairs because of the parts - so i called this other guy who i found in the yellow pages from mount albert , who has been a bit of a clown to deal with - not turning up when he said he would , and then saying he would come the next day without confirming a time , then no show, and thought I'd ask one more time - said he would come around yesterday - AP appliance repairs - Brandon someone anyways - bit of shambles and is terribly unreliable - called another company , but it sounds like it would just cost an arm or a leg for call out fee - so I opened up freezer and took it apart- the fan looks fine, not frost hindering - and the bottom part still freezing , and the fridge is not working - guy from another company advised that if frost isn't caught up in the fan, then it should be an easy fix, not a gas problem , trouble is, sounds like it's going to cost me around 400 -almost $500 bucks for a "simple" fix , and it it's not even re-gassing! words of wisdom anyone!

cantabman1, Dec 14, 7:39am
Sorry i didnt get back to you earlier, but i have been playing santa in a mall. I really isnt worth the money or effort, im sorry to say.Some parts of your unit will still be cold, but to re -gass without finding the leak could let you get from 3 months upwards before it all goes pearshaped again.
Suggest you find a secondhand F&P dual temp and maybe pay it off, or if you are on any kind of benefit then go to WINZS for an advance.
I do no a little about what i say as i owned an appliance retail shop for over 10 yrs. Good luck!

bettylee, Dec 14, 7:45am
you know without even looking at my fridge! thanks for nothing you clown - perhaps you need to learn some basic customer service manners . . like keeping your word! which means very little to me - I work full time and I don't have time to talk to clowns!

bettylee, Dec 14, 7:58am
without me calling your mickey mouse operation out - you said , you would come 3 different times! that's not just not showing up once , that's three darn times! i still have your txt msgs! I can forgive once, and think it reasonable - but three times! come one. how unprofessional are you . wasting my time getting in touch with you because you operate in my area - and then having the nerve to come on tm to give me advice! bloody clown . the nerve of you . really . annoying as heck

pamow69, Dec 14, 9:11am
bettylee - If your last 2 posts were aimed at cantabman1 I suggest you look at his profile. He is in Christchurch so cannot be your unreliable service guy from Mt Albert. I am the 1st person you phoned. You got my No. from someone in post #10. I don't regass fridges that is why I gave you a number to call. I am suprised to hear he does not do Bosch fridges. I will talk to him & find out why. If you want to call me back I will see if there is anything else I can do to help you.

lozzaqtn, Dec 14, 9:25am
haha, funny thread, who is the clown now

bettylee, Dec 14, 9:45am
I don't know who Bozo is! but the clown who I got in touch with I got from the yellow pages, and business address is in Mt. Albert - and if Bozo's profile is Chc - and happens to be a "Brandon" as well , then I don't know. I'll get in touch with a real professional , and fork out what they are worth, it beats messing around with grown men who wear make up! so to speak :-)

bettylee, Dec 14, 9:54am
and apologies to Catab. man clowns' name is brandon , not neville.

bettylee, Dec 14, 9:55am
some dude frm mt. albert still .

cantabman1, Dec 14, 6:22pm
Thankyou.

elect70, Dec 15, 4:17am
He is right I am afrige engineerfixed hundreds & can tell you without lookingat itthat its low on gasitgoes through the freezer first then the chiller& back tocompressor, it will get worse read myreply above .

arabelle, Dec 15, 4:58am
To OP, I am norepair person, but was told that turing off a fridge and storing it upsets it. so very important to keep it going. [hard I know in some cases] so maybe that has sped up its demise.HOpe you can get it fixed, but since you dont know all its history, it might be easier to start again. Fridges it seems have a life of 5-8 yrs,[daughter just been told as her fridge died] so many firms want your $$ these days esp pre xmas so good bargains and conditions on getting a new one.Not arguing about getting it fixed by those that know things, just a nother view

bryshaw, Dec 17, 4:29am
Have you thought that the thermostat might be stuffed. We have had several stats replaced on our F&P fridge.