Any bright ideas

aeromo, Nov 3, 6:58am
We need to plant a row of trees beneath a shelterbelt of casaurina for a subdivision. 70 metres long about 40 trees. The ground is hard and root bound. Is it possible and how.
Have thought of putting top soil mounded up to plant in.
Any tools that will dig holes?
Deadline looming.

slimdog, Nov 3, 7:43am
Posthole borer?

aeromo, Nov 3, 8:08am
We were thinking that might work. Having never used one we weren't sure. So it will drill down through roots?

johotech, Nov 3, 8:31am
Not if the roots are much bigger than your pinkie.

kindajojo, Nov 3, 9:35am
I would be getting professional assistance before you spend any $$
I don't like Casaurina, it is brittle and a lot of branches break in winds, if you want to put low growing shelter it will not develop well .
You could rip it with a bulldozer and winged ripper.
Money spent preparing the ground is a good investment as a hedge will be there a long time

mkbooks, Nov 4, 4:06am
Digger? a huge willow removed at neighbour's that way

aeromo, Nov 4, 4:46am
We are not allowed to remove this shelter which is to the south of the property.
It doesn't matter if the hedge doesn't survive long term, just need to get the plants in to satisfy council for subdivision sign off and then it won't matter. It was ridiculous to have the hedge on the landscape plan, but we are not wanting to contest it and cost heaps more at council, also we only have three months left to do it.
My thinking is top soil place beneath the trees deep enough to plant the tiny trees.

tintop, Nov 4, 5:00am
There are post hole borers that are tractor mounted, or on a digger - at least you wont get flung about if a root is struck.

There is also a pattern that can be hired that is on two wheels at the middle of a raised beam. motor at one end, power head at the other. All hydraulic including wheels. Will also handle roots to an extent.

And next is the motorized one with the motor directly over the borer, both one and two person models.Capable of flinging you into orbit if the auger gets tangled in a root.

aeromo, Nov 4, 5:58am
Good grief tintops that sounds hair raising!

tintop, Nov 4, 6:03am
I have used the wheel mounted ones quite often - still bound to this earth. :)

budgel, Nov 4, 8:44pm
Consider planting pittosporums, there are a lots of varieties to choose from .

Your garden centre should be able to give advice concerning this.

macandrosie, Aug 8, 3:48pm
If your hedge is quite big anything you plant will have to compete with the larger trees. Perhaps a bit of concentrated round up in each hole then add some top soil to plant in. Yes pittos are a good hedging plant!