Rhubarb

mkbooks, Jul 6, 8:51am
I have bought some rhubarb seeds, but have never grown it from seed + wonder how successful that will be? how long before there are usable stalks? perhaps I should look for a plant as well?

gbking, Jul 6, 9:08am
very easy from seed, you should be able to start harvest later in the first season, but remember they are gross feeders so lots of manure/fertilizer

owen106, Jul 6, 1:04pm
Seeds! No way, that would be slow. I got plants from my grandmother and then dug them up when we bought here. Plants would be far faster and more reliable.

cantabman1, Jul 6, 2:08pm
I tend to agree with Owen.I have never seen the seeds, but always grown them from existing plants and have to agree about giving lots of food.
I planted 3 out last July at a new house and they did nothing for months until I realised the soil was poor and needed sweetening up with horse and chicken poo, and some NFK.
Within weeks they were new plants, leaping away in growth.

whitehead., Jul 7, 8:43am
they are rich feeders

sailor13, Jul 7, 10:29am
Tip a bucket off wet slopy cow poo that will make it grow and lots of water they don't like to dry out.

lotsagiggles, Jul 7, 10:40am
I put mine in a big pot (4 sizes too big for it) and put it on the deck. Will it be ok? I couldn't think where to plant it. I heard that it was poisonous for animals so wary to plant it in a corner in case a neghbour's pig or cow nibbles it.

cantabman1, Jul 7, 10:26pm
Leaves are poisonous , but great as an insect spray if you soak the leaves for a few weeks and then strain off the juice.

mkbooks, Jul 9, 6:01am
Thanks for your help-now to find some cow poo!

gem661, Jul 9, 6:46am
Or horse & chook poo. I use liquid seaweed too.
Sheep poo pellets are great too.

dezzie, Jul 9, 6:47am
It likes blood and bone if your cow poo hunting isn't successful.

harrislucinda, Jul 9, 7:03am
plenty here

mothergoose_nz, Jul 9, 7:08am
leaves act as a wormer. hens will demolish it

sailor13, Nov 27, 2:59pm
Ask here on trade me I am shore there would be some farms that would give you some .