What's the best weed eater?

3ofeach, Aug 12, 10:12pm
What's a good weed eater/line trimmer that you would recommend for a lifestyle block? Must be uncomplicated, easy to start and girl friendly lol.

tatts2, Aug 12, 10:32pm
A Goat

jonners2013, Aug 12, 11:14pm
best thing about a goat is you can also feed it napkins and tin cans.

-bookzone-, Aug 12, 11:30pm
For a big section, it's best to buy a petrol trimmer of at least 25cc, with at least 2mm width line. Go for a well known brand, such as Sthil, and be prepared to pay at least $150, although top brands are usually closer to $300 for the entry level machine.

Electric ones probably won't have the power and capacity (time before running down) you need for a larger section.

ford_transit, Aug 13, 2:03am
A $150 Stilh ? good luck with that :) My partner has passed on our small Stilh
after I got a four stroke Makita with the straight shaft. Never having to mix gas is brilliant, it is really quiet, grunty, economical etc

jonners2013, Aug 13, 2:41am
yeah but 2-stroke smells so much better.

tintop, Aug 13, 6:24am

-bookzone-, Aug 13, 7:08am
I wasn't specifically stating you could get a *new* Stihl for $150, but you can probably get a used one for that kind of money. I was being more general, that is, a well known brand (of some kind) may be purchased for around the $150 mark. I bought a McCullouch for $170, and a Rockwell (US brand) for $115 in the last ten months. Both brand new petrol trimmers.

tweake, Aug 13, 7:27am
it depends more on what your strimming and rather importantly what your strimming against. eg strimming weeds against a concrete wall will eat line like crazy. thicker line is better for that. also more solid brush will require thick line.

but normal weeds around the house won't require such heavy duty line or trimmer. smaller weeds and not much concrete you can use an electric weed eater.

stevo2, Aug 13, 7:58am
I have a Shindaiwa (very good) but if I wanted another, I would be looking at a 4 stroke

pixma, Aug 13, 8:41am
I brought the latter new last year. Goes great, but is a prick to start, carb needed adjustment out of the box (haven't got around to it). And the carb screws are those silly ones without a screwdriver slot.

And when put down flat for a few days it slowly leaked fuel. No problems though as it is hung up.

-bookzone-, Aug 13, 9:09am
I take it you do the following:

Put the throttle in the bottom position.

Press the fuel bulb at least 5 times.

Pull on the cord five times.

Move throttle to middle position.

Pull cord until it starts.

Mine usually starts first or second time once the throttle is in the middle position.

lythande1, Aug 14, 1:51am
A goat.

bill1451, Aug 14, 6:49am
There is an old saying that applies equally to chainsaws and weedeaters, younever regret buying quality, I can go out to the shed, pick up my dolmar, ffuelit up, prime it 3 or 4 pulls and away we go. Buy a cheapo PRC derived POC will go ok for a while then when it dies you throw it in the back of the shed with the rest of the junk you bought from Kmart lol my 2 cents worth.

2sheddies, Aug 14, 10:55am
Sometimes it's operator error.
You need to understand how to operate them correctly, and look after them so they give maximum service life, and a great many people don't. Then, when they can't start them every time, or get them running right, they're swearing at the machine, blaming it because they don't know how to work it. Unfortunately they're not fool proof. Understanding and maintenance is key. Having mechanical inclination helps greatly too. And quality or no quality, if you misuse it, it wont last.

pixma, Aug 14, 6:31pm
Yes. Once it starts I have to gently rev it or it bogs down badly, another reason the carb needs adjusting.

payntr, Aug 16, 6:43am
I had a stihl now have a shindiawa. Brilliant ,never had a problem,

tessie2, Aug 16, 12:43pm
I hear that Echo brand has an "easy start" weed eater. Not tried it personally but have a friend who bought one and is very happy with it and finds it much easier to start than the other brands. Worth checking out anyway.

fordcrzy, Aug 21, 8:19am
GET A STRAIGHT SHAFT ONE WITHOUT A CLUTCH! We had a homelite one that was straight shaft and used it every weekend on Kikuyu grass etc and it was great. when it finally got a bit worn out i bought a bent shaft one and what a Piece of **** that is. totally lacks power due to the bent shaft design.

2sheddies, Aug 21, 8:31am
Haven't seen too many straight shafts without a clutch ford. all the top brand commercial straight shafts have a clutch.

rich1969, Aug 22, 7:13am
Shindaiwa, read the reviews, a lot of professionals are now using them over stihl.

fordcrzy, Oct 20, 6:47pm
i flogged the #$%^ out of my homelite straight shaft model on a lifestyle block for nearly 10 years. no clutch was awesome and had way more grunt than the awful bent shaft model