Gas hob question

backing_black, Nov 26, 2:45am
I've recently received one of these. We currently have an electric stove. Is it possible to use the 9kg gas bottles and change them or do I have to get the great big ones and if so how much to put those in? Any ideas please. I'm just looking at the cost of change :) I really would prefer a gas hob :)

adragon, Nov 26, 2:58am
We have two 9 kg bottles running a gas califont and a full gas stove at the beach. As long as the appliance is jetted for lpg gas it will not be a problem.

mm12345, Nov 26, 3:03am
You can certainly get it set up for 9kg bottles. I think the regs are such that with a less than 15kg bottle connected, placement may be easier with regard to proximity to sub-floor vents, windows, gulley traps etc. Depending on where the hob is, options for where to set up the larger cylinders outside may be limited, making the install more expensive. Then you may end up paying hire charge for cylinders when the gas use itself should be very low. A gasfitter - who you'll need to connect it up - will know the rules anyway.
9kg bottles are perfect size for a cooking hob. We get 4 months per full bottle, but use an old-fashioned kettle rather than an electric jug for boiling water, so if you weren't doing that then they might last even longer. Have three bottles, one on BBQ, one connected to hob - with a spare stored under a cover next to it.

rednicnz, Nov 26, 5:29am
When I asked a supplier about 15kg bottles to run the hob, they said go for the 9kg ones. You have to change the fittings on the burners compared to piped gas (should come with the hob) but it's easy enough for a gas-fitter to do.
Ours sits outside in a box we built around it to stop the bottle rusting. Wasn't enough space inside to store it properly. Like MM we have 3 - one for the hob, one for the BBQ and a spare.

tintop, Nov 26, 5:35am
Much the same as the others - 9kg under the hob, two spares down in the basement.

Find any old 9kg bottle, in test or out, then swap it for an intest full one at a swap bottle place.

wembley1, Nov 26, 6:06am
You'll need to get a gasfitter to change the jets if the hob is set up for natural gas. The size of the LPG cylinder won't make any difference to the burner - all it sees is the pressure the regulator delivers but as others have said, a 9 kg last several months on a hob so you probably don't need the hassle of the extra weight and size.

All of the installation work must be carried out and certified by a gasfitter. You are allowed under-bench storage provided it is vented to the outside and there are no sources of ignition such as power points.

backing_black, Nov 26, 9:08am
How will I know if the hob is set up for natural gas?
Can you explain what it means vented outside? We have an extractor hood?

mm12345, Nov 26, 10:14am
The new hob would probably come with one set of jets fitted, and a set of jets for different gas, should say in the instructions which are fitted. Jet size is marked on them, and the instructions should say which jet goes in each burner. But it's important to get this right - wrong jet and a yellow flame indicate that carbon monoxide may be being produced. It's a 5 minute job for the gasfitter to set this up / swap them over if required.
The vent to outside is for the cupboard it's stored in - if it's inside under-bench. The vent has to be a certain size etc. but anyway don't do this unless there's no option to put the tank outside - apart from safety issue, you lose under-bench cupboard space. As for safety, even if a fire wasn't caused by gas leaking etc, most home fires start in kitchens, cooking etc, and if it spread to the cupboard where the gas is stored, then.
So just get it set up outside.

wembley1, Nov 26, 7:38pm
Hear, hear. (The gas code actually recommends putting the cylinder outside and then goes on to specify what I posted earlier).

Why? LPG is heavier than air. If a cylinder started to leak and the cylinder was unvented the LPG would flow across the floor looking for a source of ignition such as a fridge motor starting up. And "mm" is quite right, even if the LPG doesn't leak, a 9 kg contains an awful amount of energy and you don't want that being added to the fire loading if you were ever unfortunate to have a house fire.

grouch, Nov 26, 7:47pm
I have a 9kg gas bottle and that does the hob and my hot water. It lasts around 5 weeks in winter and 7 in summer. It takes more for the hot water than the cooking.

dezzie, Jul 21, 12:11am
We use 9 kg bottles for our gas hob, one bottle lasts just over 3 months here, local garage that does refills is frequently cheaper than the swap and go type thing, by about $5.