New place with terrible whistling in bedroom

vwork, Nov 3, 9:02am
Hi, what can I do about a bedroom where I cannot even sleep the whistling wind sound is so loud (with window closed). I've never ever heard anything like it. The aluminium window facing the wind seems to be sealed well, (no breeze) and if i open it there is less whistling but can this be fixed? Is it likely to be the window, or the roof eaves nearby, or combo. Worried as just about to move in!

kevymtnz, Nov 3, 9:04am
corners of the house / guttering or corners or edges of the window frame

paddypf, Nov 3, 9:20am
Do you have recessed light fittings sometimes the wind through the ceiling space can cause whistling if the fitting flange is not flush with the ceiling. When you hear it ease the light fitting away from the ceiling and see if that stops the whistle.

skin1235, Nov 3, 9:30am
you haven't even moved in yet - get the builders back pronot, someone has major stuffed up and they will be the ones to find who, what and what it will take to fix it

nzjay, Nov 3, 9:35am
I have come across aluminium windows before that whistle in certain winds. It's usually the rubber strip that seals the closed window, having a small gap at the 90 deg corner joint. It should be a continuous seal all the way around.

skin1235, Nov 3, 9:38am
on a new build - and I assume you're going to live in it for some time, every time the wind blows from that particular direction it is going to annoy you

and you can get it fixed now, properly, for ever, just call the builder

survivalkiwi, Nov 3, 6:02pm
I am a builder. Yes get the builder back. Do your best to track down the noise or approx place where it is coming from.
I had one on one of my own homes a few years back. It too me ages to pin point.(Having to be outside on a ladder only in a strong southerly).
Mine was a flashing the got a vibration in a strong southerly.
You need to get it fixed as it will drive you up the wall.

golfdiver, Nov 3, 7:35pm
Often it is a gutter vibration if you have metal gutter and metal internal brackets. If that's the case, you can stop it by drilling a hole through the top front of the gutter and putting in a rivet. It just stiffens it up and stops the vibration. I've seen it quite a lot.

russ18, Nov 3, 7:50pm
This.
I put up with wind noise for ages thinking it was flashings on this hideous pitched conservatory roof that we are going to change. Finally sick of it so got up there and found it was actually some copper spouting.
Temporarily jammed a block of wood in the spouting to put it under a bit of tension.

vwork, Nov 4, 1:39am
It's not a new house it's 1970's!

vwork, Nov 4, 1:42am
Anyone in Wellington recommend an expert in whistling window/roof/parts rather than me starting from scratch with the ring around! Have no idea how the previous owners put up with it. I have a recording and everyone who hears it is shocked! Cheers

nukhelenc, Nov 4, 2:10am
To find out if it is the opening sash on the window, when its blowing and making whistling sound.
If you can reach it get out there and put masking tape around the whole outside of the sash to the frame so that you know its sealed. If that stops it then you know it may need new backing seals, new handles, new stays.
Dont leave the tape on for days, because it can make a real mess to get off.

If when you open the sash, if it just flops open fully by itself, Then its stays are worn out.
When the sash is fully closed, look along the top on the inside, any slight or any gap means they stays are worn out. If the stays are silver, then they will most likely be original. If they are Black then maybe they have been replaced once upon a time.

So it can be a combo of all three
Backing seals shrunk in corners.
Stays not pulling up onto the backing seal tight enough.
Handles worn and sloppy. Handle wedges missing or not the right ones. or just because handles have slop its not pulling the sash hard enough in on the wedges.

HHHmmm who knows without seeing

skin1235, Nov 4, 5:05am
well I wonder why you put 'new place' and 'about to move in'

maybe you should check with the previous owner - they have lived with it and could tell you exactly where it is coming from

vwork, Nov 4, 9:55am
Did think about it but feel bit pushy.

vwork, Nov 4, 9:58am
Thanks! Will see if it's possible to get out on the roof safely to reach the window frame for these tests otherwise going to have to call a tradie and get them there when it's a howling gale. (most of the time in wgtn!)

skin1235, Nov 4, 8:45pm
its not pushy to ask a previous owner about something that WILL have an effect on for all the time you reside there - it maybe something very simple like always have a window open on the other side of the house when that wind is blowing

blurple1, Aug 8, 7:57pm
is it the drain hole on the alluminuim windows we have one south facing that does it