Removal of ceramic floor tiles

rich1969, Jun 16, 12:15am
I'm contemplating removing ceramic floor tiles in our kitchen, living area (quite a large area) would probably repace with a more modern tile but also thinking of wooden floors also. Has anyone done this, is it hard to remove tile adhesive to get a level finish? Thanks

johotech, Jun 16, 12:38am
If it is on a wooden floor, you would hope that is has been installed on tile & slate underlay. You would have to remove the underlay as well to get back to the original smooth floor, then start again.

If it is on a concrete floor, then after you smash the tiles off, you might need a concrete grinder to smooth it off.

Although having said that, some of the handyman type tile adhesives are so useless that the tiles come off reasonably easily and the adhesive scrapes off as well. Generally not the case with professional adhesives.

rich1969, Jun 16, 12:42am
Thanks, sorry should have said its on a concrete floor.
I guess I could do a trial from one in the fridge cavity.

biddy6, Jun 16, 2:34am
Once you get the first tile up, try using a flat spade to get under the next etc.

rich1969, Jun 16, 2:52am
I can imagine the tiles would come off easy enough, more concerned with the adhesive/ mortar coming off. I

jacinda2059, Jun 16, 3:29am
if you can get them of, be aware that most of the available wooden flooring marks very easily, eg high heal shoes and chairs also leave scratch marks.

chas10, Jun 16, 3:54am
When I lifted my tiles I hired a kanger hammer which it made it very easy and was quite fun. Then I paid a guy to come and grind the concrete before I had the new tiles laid so I had a good surface for the adhesive to bond to. Nb: dont use your vacuum to clean up like I did because the dust will wreck it.

sanders4, Jun 16, 5:42am
Also very easy to tile over tile with modern glues, just a matter of checking heights to exterior doors etc.

happychappy50, Dec 15, 2:55pm
Do NOT tile over existing tiles unless the ones down are very secure,then you will need to score with a angle grinder so it gives the glue something to stick to,even then I still would'nt advocate this method.Better to remove the tiles already there,a jack hammer with a decent spade bit should do the trick,once all level it would be a good idea to paint on a primer before retiling,it helps the new glue to adhere better.