Vipers Bugloss / echium vulgare can anyone advise

feisha, Sep 3, 8:13am
where I can buy seeds in NZ. I know it grows wild in many parts of the south island and is a great plant for bumble bees. My research of where I can get seeds from has drawn a blank. Thank you.

piquant, Sep 3, 9:54am
http://www.kingsseeds.co.nz/shop/Flowers/Alpha+Search/Flowers+E+to+G/Echium+Blue+Bedder.html
Closest you'll probably get to Vipers bugloss. Also, if you are after bee fodder, try phacelia as well.

feisha, Sep 4, 8:56am
Thank you for your helpful reply, piquant. I have already ordered the blue bedder seeds from Kings ( I have their catalogue) and you are right it was the closest I could find too. I already grow phacelia, borage, comfrey etc in my garden and orchard for the bees, but was intrigued by the bugloss after reading Dave Goulson's book 'A Sting in the Tale'. If you love bumbles you will love this very readable book.

piquant, Sep 4, 9:55am
Just have to hope that either you find a roadside plant somewhere or some nice kind bee loving person who knows where it grows will collect some for you when it's ready! best of luck!

bugin, Sep 4, 10:48am
Heaps of this in the Molesworth station and Rainbow areas . Worth a trip down the Marlborough /Nelson area just to see it in Feb/March.

mkbooks, Sep 4, 9:27pm
Masses of this plant growing at the side of the road around Lake Rotoiti

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 5, 10:27am
It's in some of the river bed banks too round Blenheim.

ruby2shoes, Sep 5, 6:46pm
I've bought some off here before

feisha, Sep 8, 6:09am
Thanks everyone for helpful replies. Looks like a trip to Lake Rotoiti (closest area suggested ) will be in order at seeding time. I have been keeping an eye on Tr/me, Ruby, but no luck so far. Did you purchase seeds or plants, and what success have you had with them? I have friends in Blenheim who may gather seeds for me. If anyone has seen it 'en masse' did you notice lots of bumbles around?

ruby2shoes, Oct 6, 10:06pm

I believe this is it. they may have called it the bedding plant, but picture is of the vipers one. It seeds pretty easy, although it didn't self seed for me (I probably pulled it out too early). Mind you, plants sometimes pop up years later in my garden!