Could this be the answer for bees?

nzjay, Sep 7, 1:38am
I had a "eureka" moment recently while watching a TV program. The amateur organic gardener had a policy of sowing wild flower etc seeds under the trees of her fruit orchard and just letting things go wild on the ground. The result was a prolification of bees in the orchard with excellent pollination etc.
I mentally compared this to the stark, barren environment seen in most fruit orchards. sprayed bare around the trees and short mown grass everywhere else. and few bees.
I think there's a lesson to be learned here. There was nothing on the "wilderness" ground that would impede normal orchard activities such as pruning and picking. just a taller, thicker mass to drive over.

lythande1, Sep 7, 2:46am
Bees like fruit tree flowers.
I have various other things - old roses, winter flowering bee plants, other bee flower trees and shrubs. Not a hodge podge tossed on the lawn, planted around the place but a variety and flowering at different times to keep the bees happy.

tweake, Sep 7, 3:14am
most orchards simply don't have bee hives in them until they bring them in for pollination. most don't have them in all the time due to them spraying the trees for various pests.
there is a reason orchards spend $$$ on gas and labor to mow the grass. probably competition to the trees etc.

just putting wild flowers won't attract bees, you need to have bees nearby to start with. they didn't get excellent pollination due to planting wild flowers.
they got excellent pollination because they have bee hives (or someone has nearby).
other flowering sources tends to pull bees away from the trees they want pollination. so its a disadvantage to have competing sources.

the advantage of the wild flowers is to give the bees (from the hives they have brought in and probably had to pay for) a wide source of pollen which is a critical food for them. especially if the trees are a poor source of pollen.

please plant wild flowers in disused areas, bees need variety of pollen sources. there is also trees for bees project and a recent willow study has been done, if your looking at planting trees check it out.

bugin, Sep 7, 4:00am
Fruit trees flower for a short time ,wild flowers mixes flower over an extended time .So if the orchardist has to use an insecticide at the time the bees are attracted to the wild flowers ,this could kill bees in large numbers .Mowing keeps weed flowers to a minimum to avoid this problem .

xs1100, Sep 7, 9:24am
just plant bee friendly plants and c how it goes nature will let you know if its successful

summersunnz, Sep 7, 10:16am

brightlights60, Sep 7, 12:57pm
There was a good article in the local rag this week, will dig it out, about which flowers (specifically) to plant amongst the vege garden plants. Suprised more home gardeners do not practice this. Companion planting is so good for discouraging pests and encouraging bees. Have always practiced it and never had to spray our veges, in 35 years.

wendalls, Sep 7, 8:30pm
In the mean time my plums are flowering and not a bee to be seen. I rely on other insects and birds for my small crop which is then eaten by the birds. It's tricky to get netting to encircle a big tree. N fact even a small one. Maybe I need to try harder this year.

summersunnz, Oct 6, 2:51pm
Have you got flowering plants near your plum tree wendalls - if so, bees will come to them, and then to your tree.