New sinks - baskets in the drainage hole

lemming2, Jul 3, 3:10am
What is the purpose of these modern twisty basket thingies that all the sinks have now?
If you want an old-fashioned drainage hole with a proper plug, can they be fitted into the modern sinks?
(You'll gather I'm not a fan of the modern style).

tourer100, Jul 3, 4:11am
Totally agree, they leak.

hilt_dwane, Jul 3, 6:14am
+1 and they arent easy to clean

macandrosie, Jul 3, 7:10am
Yes I don't like them either. And the new sinks - we find they block more easily & the food seems to build up going down the drain. I used a Drainflo product the other day - didn't make alot of difference, so hubby pulled the drain apart. Had to use a kebab stick to clean the gunk away from the walls of the pipe. Very hard to clean, but they start to stink if you don't do something!

lythande1, Jul 3, 6:57pm
Yes you can change the waste in sinks.
As for cleaning. a not to those with straight pipes on the upright type bathroom sinks.
As you don't have the S shaped waste - the sinks themselves have what can only be described as a icing bag. this is the waste trap type thing in them. So as your sink has hair, soap scum etc going down it, it clogs up and accumulates.
I cut it off my sink and put a proper waste trap in -- under the house. Of course you do need room to fit one under there.

But a point to note if your bathroom sink is now not draining properly.

lemming2, Jul 4, 5:18am
I had this new sink installed on Tuesday . yesterday (Thursday!) I had to get him back to fix the huge leak coming out of the brand new fitting right under the drainage hole . NOT happy, as you can imagine.
I asked him about changing it to an old-fashioned outlet . apparently they can't do it if the sink has an overflow outlet, as the old-style fittings can't take the connection .

aloha3, Jul 4, 9:12am
We paid extra to upgrade our plug hole to the old fashioned one. Kitchen was fitted about 6 mths ago. Ring a kitchen place. Pretty sure Mitre 10 staff told me about it too.

raven71, Nov 29, 9:04am
I think you can pull that stupid basket waste things out and install one of those adaptors that you'd use if you were getting rid of a waste disposal unit from your sink.