Cheap glasshouses

krames, Jun 11, 9:21am
I know you get what you pay for but has anyone brought a 400 $ 6x8 glasshouse?
did it last long?

koru67, Jun 11, 9:13pm
Not saying it is the same brand at all but have you seen the "wind destroyed" glasshouse for sale . might depend on how sheltered your location is.
My Dad has grown orchids all my lifetime and he has always purchased Eden glasshouses (more expensive I know), and never regretted it.

brightlights60, Jun 12, 9:39am
Mrs B here. Been a gardener now for 35 odd years and had everything from the plastic ones to a current one a bit dearer, and had a home made duralite one which was great, but heading towards an Eden or similar. Honestly, the amount of money I have spent over the years, should have gone for something expensive from the word go. Have had luck with the wardrobe sized ones with the zip up plastic covers, had a couple destroyed but just bought new covers. It all depends what you want it for, if its just propagation of seeds and cuttings,something small you can fold down after the beginning of Summer is fine, if you plan to grow stuff all year around then something more substantial.

brightlights60, Jun 12, 9:41am
Add to that, for a paper I did on propagating from seed, I bought one of those $200 ones off Grab One deals, down from around $350 supposedly through the Warehouse. Avoid. The instructions are horrendous and hubby put it together over 3 days, this alone nearly ended in divorce! Its pretty crappy and has to stand on the deck, under cover. Does the job, but will sell it when I get a decent walk in one!

twain1, Jun 13, 1:24am
From what I have read, the cheap ones are a waste of money and not only didfficult and time consuming putting together, but dont take strong winds either. You get what you pay for

tub4, Jun 13, 5:23am
We got one of those Trade-tested poly/ally glass houses right here off Trade Me a couple of years ago, it took my wife & I 5 hours to put together ( much easier than the shed we got from them) and have had no trouble with it but there is some shelter from our strong Manawatu winds. A friend got one that cost more from a hardware store and the wind wrecked it within a month.

krames, Jun 13, 5:51am
oh thanks guys.trying to decide wether to spend 400 or 7-800 on a glasshouse.
Its probably possible to reinforce the cheapies with extra bracing to prevent wind damage but hard to say without actually seeing them.

twain1, Jun 13, 8:48am
I think the problem with some of the ones I have seen is that the panels actually blow out in strong wind. No reason why you cant construct one yourself out of demo windows and doors

geoff_m, Jun 13, 7:27pm
I got a cupboard sized plastic zip up covered Trade Tersted one (as sold on TM). It lasted overnight before it was destroyed and bent beyond repair by the wind, and it wasn't even a windy day. Avoid. It was expensive too - similar ones at M10 were much cheaper and better built

krames, Dec 17, 6:43am
ok.Thinking of building one out of clear corrugate and timber framing after hearing about them blowing out/over.The cost would be similar but strength would be better.Workimng out a design that will be practical and easy on the eye.