Which Michelia as a Specimen Tree?

bugalugs, Jul 5, 4:09am
I'm looking to plant a tree in my small suburban garden as a focal point, and think I have narrowed it down to a Michelia. Any recommendations for variety? I'd like it to eventually grow to a small tree for shade, rather than just be a shrub. Maybe Gracipes?

spiritofgonzo, Jul 5, 5:00am
Or doltsopa for bigger leaves and bigger flowers. Or a mixed breed like bubbles or mixed up miss. Any of those. Love them all!

sailor13, Jul 5, 10:48am
I don't think you would put Michelia in the shade as it would need sun to flower.unless there is a variety that flowers in the shade . ask at a garden center.

spiritofgonzo, Jul 5, 11:15pm
I read it as they want a tree to provide shade.

macandrosie, Jul 5, 11:32pm
Can't say I've ever heard of them! Are they prone to frost? they look a cross between a magnolia or camelia.

gilligee, Jul 5, 11:47pm
From now on you will see them everywhere as you drive round town as they are starting their flowering season.

spiritofgonzo, Jul 5, 11:53pm
they are essentially a type of magnolia. A close cousin. In fact I think I remember reading that the genus has been changed to the name magnolia.

spiritofgonzo, Jul 6, 12:10am
Just checked on that and yes, michelia doltsopa is now called magnolia doltsopa . michelia is the old name, as of the last couple of years.

pfwood, Jul 6, 6:23am
Definitely if you want to plant a Magnolia (Michelia) doltsopa, go for "Silver Cloud" which is the much improved hybrid. Great for a small garden. Our one has just started to flower which is perfect in mid winter when everything else is bare

bugalugs, Nov 29, 5:00pm
Thanks folks. When is a good time to plant?