Table lamp bulb wattage

eljayv, Aug 25, 4:50am
If I have a lamp with 40 watt lamp is it okay to put an LED bulb with better lighting ability in it? Say a 10 or 12 watt LED .

merrigj, Aug 25, 5:01am
Yes that would be fine.

johotech, Aug 25, 6:29am
10 or 12 watt LED are quite bright. Equivalent to roughly 60-75W lamp.

But, part of the reason they are so bright, is that MOST standard LED lamps are quite directional. Nearly all of their output is within 60 degrees of their center line (120deg spread) and 100% of the output is within 90 degrees of the center line (180deg spread).

So in your case for a table lamp with the socket pointing upward, all of the light is going to be directed upward. None on to the table.

There might be specialized lamps available, but I don't know of any off hand.

eljayv, Aug 25, 8:07am
Thank you for that information but the lamp is more of a desk lamp with an adjustable head. So it should be okay.

mm12345, Aug 25, 11:35am
Cree omnidirectional LEDs are appearing here now:
http://www.thenile.co.nz/home-garden-pets/Cree-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-A19-LED-Light-Bulb/0810048029501/

About time - for the reason you state.
Over $30 per bulb, but these are dimmable (Cree say with "most standard dimmers") so that price is on par with other dimmable 10W B22/E27 LEDs.

ETA "ships from USA". LOL - typical.

coralsnake, Aug 25, 1:25pm
Look at some of the comments on Home Depot's website - few not impressed that they are burning out quick.

mm12345, Oct 18, 5:10pm
It's a problem for all makers it seems.
I've had B22/E27 LEDs fail, Panasonic and Philips.
I've had plenty of CCFLs fail early too, but because they only cost a few bucks each then they get chucked in the bin without a thought.

Those Cree lamps seem to come with a 10 year warranty. If LEDs fail - then take them back for replacement.