?quote for new door

lettice, Nov 8, 3:55am
I have just been quoted over 3000 bucks to install an aluminium exterior door.
It's certainly no top of the range job. A friend had an identical door installed by this same firm a year or two ago. She was quoted 1700 bucks and she lives 30 k from town. Am I being unreasonable in thinking the quote is over the top or is it in the normal range.

stevo2, Nov 8, 4:50am
You will only find that out by getting another quote.

annies3, Nov 8, 4:54am
Depends on height and width I suppose but we put a double glazed ranch slider in a year or so ago it cost $1400 from memory well worth the effort too so much better than the French doors it has replaced.

amasser, Nov 8, 8:12pm
Without knowing the size, it is hard to say but it sounds excessive. How much was the door and how much for installation?

lettice, Nov 8, 10:15pm
The quote I got didn't specify how much each component cost. I certainly intend to get another quote. I was surprised at the increase for an identical door during a little over a year. Perhaps I look gullible.

nzmax, Nov 8, 11:46pm
Does your house have different cladding, to your friends, that may need to be adjusted or partly removed and reinstalled? Possibly yours needs to have upgraded framing or lintel whereas your friends existing framing was suitable and it was just a simple matter of removing old door, installing new door. Just a couple of possiblities

lettice, Nov 9, 3:58am
I will be interested to see the next quote. The houses are the same age, cladding is different. The quote could be genuine, but I was thrown by a $1500 difference in what looked to me a similar job. If anything, I thought mine would be cheaper because of distance.

music_note, Nov 10, 12:13pm

jia5, Nov 10, 7:48pm
I have just had a ranch slider with security door and a fixed window put in and the cost was $2.600.00. So you need more quotes in my opinion as that sounds OTT.
Edited to say. plus gst.

buddytom, Nov 10, 9:39pm
I replaced my front door 5 years ago I got a 2nd hand aluminium door for $200.it was the same size as the original and had a local carpenter install it all up it was about $500.00

lissie, Nov 11, 1:25am
Got similar figures quoted for a new external front door - just a door no sidelight or anything fancy. We are getting a uPVC door - $1111 inc GST from memory

timbo69, Nov 11, 5:54am
Is it a swap for a door the same size? if the new door is bigger you will need new lintels and 3k could be right. Really depends on too many things to really answer on here

cwag, Nov 14, 12:05am
There are so many variables that it is a waste of time comparing your quote with projects that other people are talking about here. Get another quote, or even another couple from other suppliers. That way you can compare the prices for the same thing, not with something that somebody else has had done which may sound similar but could in fact be quite different.

matarautrader, Jul 31, 11:48am
Is it just the door or is it door plus jambs? If you measure your door carefully you may find on on either trade me or second hand places