How do i stop ants eating my strawberries?

christin, Nov 28, 12:42am
def ants as ive seen them inside a nice juicy one :-(

golfdiver, Nov 28, 12:59am
A rifle with a high powered scope should do it .

cleggyboy, Nov 28, 1:14am
Are you sure now? Could be a slug has bored the hole to invite the ants in.

hazelnut2, Nov 28, 1:26am
I figure that if ants are eating them the strawberries must be at their prime, so I just pick them, cut out the hole the ants made and enjoy the rest.

Next year you could plant them in a trough above the ground so the ants can't get at them.

redhead96, Nov 28, 3:42am
If it's not ants it's Blackbirds or those little white worm things or slugs aarrggh.
And the blackbirds never steal the ones that bugs have started to go at always the perfect ones.
We have one blackbird that must either be stupid or lots of guts especially when our cat is out.

christin, Nov 28, 4:38am
It's definately ants. Have seen tiny holes into them.

They may be partially red, ie partially pinkish and almost ready to pick but not quite and they drill into the red bit :-(

Def ants and not slugs. Slugs I can put bait down for. Ants. ?

sla11, Nov 28, 4:45am
Sand around the plants might work? Put ours in trough with legs to keep off ground, Netting with netting hinged lid, lots of straw around plants. Would think the ants will find them in due course. They find everything - clever scavengers! Bait but they'll keep coming until the nest dies.

christin, Nov 28, 5:37am
I was thinking of putting bait down, but the liquid stuff Imhave I don't want to leave out as my cats will Prob try and drink it :-(

I thought of raising but ants can climb, well they seem to manage to crawl up the skinny legs of my raised cat bowls! Little buggers!

mtbotrev, Nov 28, 8:16am
sit in a water bath.

christin, Jul 19, 4:04pm
In a big raised garden. Spread around the edges . A few metres. But hard to get in water