Pear tree variety

lmwheeler, Sep 19, 9:38pm
Can anyone recommend a good variety (and perhaps supplier) for a pear tree. Looking for something that won't grow too large and has fruit that are nice both fresh and cooked. I'm also after something on good root stock that I can graft another variety on.

We have a pear tree in our garden that is getting old and is unlikely to last too many more years. It's also sitting in a position we would like to eventually build a garage. I don't want to lose it entirely though so I'd like to graft a piece onto a new plant.

citydude, Sep 20, 1:20am
I don't know a lot about the varieties, but do know that pear trees need cross fertilization more than most fruit trees.

In other words, you either need to buy a tree with two types on it, or two trees.

We got ours from Mitre 10, two varieties on the same tree, good luck :)

ricp, Sep 20, 1:25am
Buerre Bosc is most peoples favourite and great for cooking, and I would pair it up with Taylors Gold or another Comice type to pollinate - cos they're the early sweet juicy pears.

mack77, Sep 20, 8:22am
x1
In my opinion the best pear is Taylors Gold which is a fully russeted version(sport) of Comice. It is the only pear that I will eat unless I'm really hungry and can't find any locally. The pollinators for Taylors Gold are: Beurre Bosch, Packhams Triumph, William's Bon Cretien, Winter Cole, Winter Nellis, Nashi Hosui and Nashi Nijiseiki. If you like Asian pears, then Hosui would be a good choice.

mack77, Sep 20, 8:28am
You can graft the pollinator on to the Taylors Gold tree. At least three different rootstocks are available to suit different soil types and to give different height trees e.g dwarf.

macandrosie, Sep 20, 10:17am
You might be interested in getting in touch with Robert & Robyn Guyton who do alot of grafting & growing of older varieties of fruit trees around Southland & Otago. I think they are based in Riverton. google South Coast Environment Society.

summersunnz, Sep 20, 11:26am
I'm growing Winter Cole and William Bon Cretian - good for pollinating each other. and early and late season harvests.

ebygum1, Sep 22, 1:36am
Or in other words you need a pair of pear trees?

citydude, Sep 23, 9:09am
Indeed, alternatively you need your pear tree to pair itself to be fair :)

groovie1, Sep 21, 7:52pm
Well I didn't know that about pear trees (I thought pairing only applied to feijoas) so its just as well that in my total ignorance the Palmers Garden lady sold me a double Taylors Gold/Beurre Bosc earlier this year, if not, I might have gone on for years wondering why my single pear tree wasn't fruiting.