Front door doesn't shut normally -Yale lock issue

vwork, Dec 2, 10:02am
Hi - I've got a fairly standard looking, probably quite old front door lock and looks sort of like this: http://bit.ly/1ThE11o and when I got home other day front door wide open, probably had been for the 2 hours I was out! So it just doesn't properly shut when close the door like a normal person would with normal force. You have to properly pull it to make sure until hear the click. So that's okay now I have learnt my lesson but i have people coming and going so want to be more sure it's shutting firmly for everyone who's not going to take my (yank it shut) advice and leave me worried doors wide open and dogs escaped! So what are some ideas please about what to do to fix the issue? There's just the one Chubb lock and then a hotel like bracket I can move across when am inside for added security. But when I depart obviously I can't use that. Thanks!

gpg58, Dec 2, 11:07am
The latch closes against a plate in door frame,and needs to drop latch edge into recess, the edge of plate may need filing a bit to let it drop in easier. too much and it will be a door that rattles in the wind.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/429693751.jpg
Perhaps first try slightly loosening screws holding plate, and try closing, you may get away with then nipping up.
I assume all hinge screws are tight.
Sometimes even slightly loosening all hinge screws and giving the door a jiggle can realign it.

jonners2013, Dec 2, 6:39pm
x1
If your Yale lock is not closing properly, there are several things you can try to fix the issue:

Check for obstructions: Make sure that there are no obstructions, such as dirt, debris, or small objects, preventing the lock from closing properly. Clean the lock and surrounding area if necessary.

Lubricate the lock: If the lock is difficult to turn, it may be due to lack of lubrication. Use a silicone-based lubricant to lubricate the lock and help it turn smoothly.

Adjust the strike plate: If the lock is not aligning properly with the strike plate, you may need to adjust the position of the strike plate. Loosen the screws holding the strike plate in place and move it slightly until the lock aligns properly. Tighten the screws back in place.

Check the latch: If the lock is still not closing properly, check the latch to make sure it is properly aligned with the strike plate. Use a screwdriver to adjust the position of the latch if necessary.

Replace the lock: If the lock is still not working properly after trying the above steps, you may need to replace the lock. Contact a locksmith or hardware store for assistance with selecting and installing a new Yale lock.

By following these steps, you can troubleshoot and fix common issues with a Yale lock that is not closing properly. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable making these adjustments yourself, it's always best to seek professional help to ensure that the lock is properly installed and functioning correctly.

also - that is inadequate as the only lock in a front door, so if you don't have a sturdier one as well, look at getting some sort of deadbolt.

nukhelenc, Dec 2, 7:50pm
Is it an aluminium door panel, if so like above said give the strike plate a little tap downwards as well and spray the latch and striker with some silicone spray.
If it makes it worse tap it up again and at least you know your on the right track.
Maybe it needs replaced ?

vwork, Dec 3, 12:25am
Thanks all! The door is wood (nukhelenc) and here's a pick.
http://i.imgur.com/inlQDmR.jpg

But I will give my Dad these ideas above too and see if he can improve it - thank you - but i did wonder about security of that type of lock for the front door? (jonners2013)

pandai, Dec 3, 12:37am
Is there a draught seal around the door frame?

gpg58, Dec 3, 12:59am
Ideally replace complete lock mech with a dead bolt, so it can not be opened by sliding a credit card in. Check the security rating number of new one too, or it might still be way to easy to pick it.

hammer23, Dec 3, 2:17am
I suspect that with the warmer weather that the door has bowed and the latch is not entering the stricker plate easily unless you pull the door till it does. Answers are to either adjust the stricker plate say 3mm which can be a fiddly job or file the stricker plate so it does work. Both options require some skill or you could start all over again with a new lock fitted by a capable person.

vwork, Dec 3, 2:47am
yes actually the spongey tape - but not that keen to remove that due to for some reason a lot of earwig/roaches?! I have sprayed that hard core bug killer around it. That's another post - why are they loving my door frame?!?!

vwork, Dec 3, 2:48am
If it's not secure either even if closed then am leaning towards new lock given that my dad and I's skills are not in this area! Thanks

pandai, Dec 3, 2:57am
There might be a thinner one available that would let you pull the door completely shut.

Otherwise, find a way to file down or move the strike plate so that the latch can catch in there properly.

morrisjvan, Dec 7, 4:22am
no-one picks locks, they just lever the door in !

vwork, Dec 7, 9:11pm
Is this one any good? Securicraft MC12 deadbolt
Cheers

jhan, Dec 7, 11:16pm
Locks do wear out over the years. Locksmiths can be called out. Locks can get dried out and brittle, CRC is your friend. Bunnings sell replacement barrels if you want to go the cheap way.

vwork, Jul 11, 3:06pm
I'd like a deadbolt I think since it's the only front door security. Will get it installed (can't DIY not smart enough), may not fit existing cavity etc etc!