Petunias

doree36, Dec 4, 12:54am
can I cut back my petunias once they have flowered to the end of the stems - how far back and will they flower again. I have a huge pot of dark purple and lime green uprights and pink cascading around the outside - look fantastic. thanks in advance - happy gardening to all

maclad, Dec 4, 3:17am
Yes you can, you should be able to see where the new shoots are beginning. I would cut them back so the main stems are about 4" long and keep up the water and fert.

doree36, Dec 4, 3:58am
Thanks to you maclad - sounds promising - hate throwing out anything that can give another wonderful show . have them in a self watering pot , with a mulch on top - I have used manutec bloom booster for years but cant get it now - apparently all those that grow the" NZ Green" ! find it works wonders and I think the suppliers of this wonderful fertiliser have withdrawn it off the market. I have about 1/2 carton of it left and it was suggested to me I use Phrostrogen . I have found a fantastic growing medium called "Fibre Earth' which I use for both my flowers and vegetables - under each plant I put a layer of good quality potting mix, a layer of fibre Earth and plant into the final layer of potting mix, followed by another layer of the fibre earth as a mulch - great stuff. I used this method for my "shiny Fardenlosa " climbing and ":top crop: and" tendergreen" dwarf bean seeds from last years crops and now have what will be lovely new beans ready for Christmas. It is made from alfalfa along with all the needed minerals etc. it pongs a bit but does a wonderful job 75ltrbags compacted. By the way I am an 80 year old lady who loves her garden and the wonders of nature. thanks once again for you reply about the petunias.

maclad, Dec 4, 4:04am
I have never had any trouble regenerating petunias and from what you say yours are well taken care of so they should do fine.

paora-tm, Dec 4, 8:15am

doree36, Dec 5, 10:06pm
Thank you paora-tm
For taking the trouble to send me those videos on how to prune my petunias - they will be for the chop this weekend - seasons greetings to you and your Noni R

paora-tm, Dec 6, 4:50am
I just hope all goes well for the Moonlight (yellow) petunia I picked up from the warehouse clearance section for $1 - normally $8. It was a bit straggly and in need of a haircut.

katalin2, Dec 6, 4:57am
What he didn't say in the video how many weeks from cutting back they will bloom again. I need to know if I cut them back now will they bloom again for daughter's wedding in 5 weeks time?

paora-tm, Dec 6, 5:04am
I cut some back last year - even further than shown in the youtube clip. Unfortunately I wasn't taking notes regarding how quickly they regrew. Maybe one of the other videos says something. https://www.facebook.com/groups/nzflowergardeners/

maclad, Dec 6, 5:25am
What have you got to lose, they are getting pretty sad now so won't be great anyway. If you cut them back now and keep up the water then you stand a pretty good chance of some colour in 5 weeks time. They will flower much sooner than new plants would.

katalin2, Jul 12, 11:55am
My Petunias are not looking sad, they are looking perfect at the moment, but probably wont in 5 weeks time :(