Which paint system to use?

lissie, Sep 9, 9:17pm
I've always used Resene paints - but as we are, over the next few years, be up for painting the whole house inside and out I wondered what are my options?

Outside we have hardiplank which is in a super exposed coastal site - we need something very, very tough.

Inside there is going to be a mixture of old surfaces (mixed paint and wallpaper) and new gib in the bathroom and kitchen.

It seems far cheaper to buy 10l at a time rather than smaller quantities - is there any issue with keeping paint for a few years - except you have to stir it up again properly?

Mitre 10 has a special on Accent at the moment which I think is Dulux - so I am tempted .

trad, Sep 9, 10:32pm
I have not used Resene. Have tried cheaper paint but now do not bother - always use Dulux. Buy 8 or 10litre pails of white (No problem keeping for years as long as container properly sealed). Seem to recall taking some in to be tinted when I wanted another colour; have not done this for a while.

jhan, Sep 9, 10:38pm
The plastic 10 l pails don't keep all that well. I've had some split.

trad, Sep 9, 10:42pm
None have split here, touch wood, even with them stacked 2 or 3 high, but a can has rusted through.

golfdiver, Oct 5, 1:57am
I have 20 litre pails of paint in my warehouse that are ten years old. No longer do this sort of work, but I put the mixing drill in one recently and sprayed a shed wall for my brother. Went on just fine, and no problems so far. It is top quality and not a retail product