Can I prune roses a second time?

helenfs, Sep 8, 8:32pm
I pruned my roses about a month ago but now think I have left them too big! Can I have another go or will it not matter in the end? I have had some comments that they are not pruned enough!

lemming2, Sep 8, 9:25pm
The size you prune them to depends entirely on your choice as to how much you want to control their height and spread. I have an enormous rosa mutabilis which is technically a bush rose, but I prune it in an entirely arbitrary fashion to just below the height of my 2m high fence, and as wide as I fancy. It doesn't mind at all what I do. I even chopped a bit of it almost back to the base, and it shot off up to the fence top again! Mind you, its weight has recently pulled its bit of trellising off the fence . and I'm not looking forward to reaching through it to nail the trellis up again .

taurus2005, Sep 9, 5:37am
Go for it.

groovie1, Sep 9, 7:11am
It doesn't seem to bother my roses what time of year I prune them back or how hard I prune either, they just keep bouncing back.

helenfs, Sep 9, 8:35am
Many thanks, tomorrow's job then!

brightlights60, Oct 5, 3:02pm
Google rose pruning. If you do it right, you shouldn't have to "hack away" more than once a year. Around 1/3 to 2/3 of the growth, all the dead wood and down to the best outfacing bud, cut on an angle. Mine are pruned to around 30-40cms and are around 10-15 years old, they come up to over 6ft in the Summer and look beautiful. Remember to take the growth out of the middle, that way when they grow the sun can get into the middle.