What sort of fire to put in?

Page 1 / 2
brooksy1, Nov 21, 1:12am
We have a wood fire in our new house that needs replacing and was wondering what is best.We were wondering whether to get a coal burning one or a wood pellet fire or something else.My husband has retired and we realise that as we get older humping in loads of firewood will be more difficult and want something we can carry in easily and not have to stack firewood.

pestri, Nov 21, 1:41am
Fujitsu

mac934, Nov 21, 2:05am
Heat pump makes going out in the cold to hump firewood inside a thing of the past, and gives you a nice toasty home. You should look at getting a quote they are not as expensive as they used to be and can use as much or as little power as you want.

brooksy1, Nov 21, 2:10am
We have a heat pump in the sitting room but the rest of the house isn't warm.We thought that a wood fire would heat the rest of the house better.

comadi, Nov 21, 7:59am
If you have gas in your street, seriously consider a free standing gas fire.
Unlike the heat pump we had gas doesn't freeze up and shut down to defrost.

pj044, Nov 21, 7:36pm
We love our pyro classicfire. Didnt to start off with, but was not quite installed right. We have burnt far less wood this year, and our house is toasty n warm in all areas. Well worth the price

shanreagh, Nov 21, 11:41pm
Unless the gas is flued you will have lots of moisture and possible mould problems. Great solution if they are vented. Even if you don't have gas in the street then gas tanks with a flued ie fixed gas heater could be an answer. I like the tanks option as you don't get charged thedaily supply charges and the amount you use is totally within your control to monitor.You could use some wall vents or heat transfer kit as well.

brooksy1, Nov 22, 6:07am
No gas in our street.Also we do need to replace the ratty old log burner that is there. So really need to replace it with a fire of some sort.It's in a lovely old rimu paneled room so just can't rip it out.

comadi, Nov 22, 7:21am
Yes a proper flued free standing gas fire / heater.
We are having a Rinnai Neo installed where the old log burner was; and the new flue will use the existing fire outer casing with an adapting cone on the roof.
Our hot water is on mains gas, but gas bottles sound like a good idea if mains gas is not available.

pestri, Nov 22, 6:10pm
Are you happy with the flue arrangements!Is this standard practice!Just asking

comadi, Nov 23, 7:36am
Yes quite standard practice.
Ours is not installed yet, but I have seen the same finished product.
The fire & flue inside the house is new, it's just the roof outer casing (if still in good condition) that is used.
You also have a new cowling on top.

russ18, Nov 23, 8:10am
Bottled gas for heating is expensive to run.

wasgonna, Nov 23, 8:20am
My wood burner keeps me lovely and warm when the power supply fails.

urbanrefugee54, Nov 23, 9:13am
it all comes down to access & sustainability. do you have easy access to wood! or gas! if you live near to a easy supply of wood - then I would opt for a wood fire & if it can be hooked up to the hot water cylander easily - bonus. another thing is what is acceptable or what the council will allow as far as permits - & of course 'cost'. we put in a fernzo 'lady kitchener' [rural model] & love it.but we have our own trees & split our own wood to size.

aredwood, Nov 23, 10:41pm
it depends on how efficient your heater is.

h.e, Nov 23, 11:26pm
+1
my boss has a new gas fire for ambience only really. But while waiting for his heat pump to be installed he was going through a large bottle a fortnight,at $100+ each

alleycatz, Nov 24, 12:46am
get a pellet fire

so easy and no chopping , cating , lights first time , ambiance is great , warm as , cheap to run, no mess , spiders or bugs

just do what we do , buy one bag each week , summer and winter and you NEVER run out and its all paid before you burn it.

russ18, Nov 24, 5:37am
Not really, bottled gas compared to other forms of energy is expensive per potential kw.

vomo2, Nov 28, 9:24pm
Pellet fire everytime. With gas, instant heat, instant cold when you turn it opff. And the fire is great to watch.

rich1969, Nov 30, 9:54pm
Until there's a power cut.

golfaholic2, Dec 1, 2:09am
Theres a new burner coming onto the market in the VERY near future, ECan are due to release news of CERA using its powers to make several changes to the Air Plan in CHCH . one of these is to allow ALL homes in CHCH to have a log burner if it can pass a new test and emission limit being drafted by ECan .there appears to be one player capable of making this limit .he has a major manufacturer lined up to make the burner and they are waiting final details of ECans proposal before starting production .one additional extra , emission abatement filters , will see thermal efficiency go close to 100% with basically zero particulate emissions . this is the burner I'd go for .
It will be called the "******************* Best Burner" .I cant divulge the manufacturer at this time .within 6 months it could/should be on the shop floor

toffeey, Dec 4, 11:45am
So frustrating. I'm in nelson and was forced by the council to replace my very efficient wood burner with a much less effective one. However at least my house has one. Gave up looking at houses to shift into recently because so many people have done away with burners and the council wont let us put them in now. Nothing seems to get the house as toasty as a log burner. My partners house hhas a burner and a heat pump and gotta say the fire is the only way to get really warm.

aredwood, Dec 5, 4:50am
LPG via the 45kg bottles from Genesis in Auckland calculated to 15.5c per kWh. Since you say this is expensive could you please tell me which power company charges less than 15.5c per kWh for electricity that is not night rate or subject to other restrictions.

golfaholic2, Dec 5, 5:08am
Frustrated toffeey !I upgraded after ECan told me I could reuse it when I rebuilt after the EQ's .then they change their minds 6 mnths later leaving me well over 5 grand out of pocket .
THEN , I find out thru the official information act that they stuffed up the wording in the air plan in CHCH , and there is/was nothing forcing me to upgrade . they continue to misinform the public on their website, threatening to fine people who use old burners .they are a bloody joke

kwaka5, Dec 5, 5:12am
i'm with russ on this one. Had a gas fire flued, went thru a bottle in just over a week running only in the morning and at night for around 4 hrs max a day. Have an 8kw heat pump running 24/7 and adds around 80$ a month on top of the power account. Do the maths on that one.