Seratone as shower liner question.

corwyn, Oct 27, 4:54am
If the bathroom is lined with aqualine/ water resistant cement board product, do you need to put 'spacers' between it and seratone or can you just glue it on? Diagrams that I've found indicate you need a 6 mm gap between wet-floor vinyl up the wall and seratone/ hardiglaze overlapping it.
It shows diagrams of using battens but only on bare studs/ nogs.
What to do?

alancj, Oct 27, 4:56am
Use battens. It allows air circulation and the timber can dry out. But use marine treated timber anyway.

underconstructy, Oct 27, 5:19am
Say what? Are you saying fix battens over the existing linings?

ebygum1, Oct 27, 6:35am
What is marine treated timber?

corwyn, Oct 27, 6:47am
That's the dilemma, primed aqualine is water 'resistant' - what is a floor?- we don't put battens on floors when we put on tiles or lino? we seal the joins. Does aqualine breathe? if water does get into the joiners it can potentially bead-sit on the bottom batten.

nzmax, Oct 27, 6:53am
Marine treated timber is treated to H6, suitable for wharf piles, sea walls and other saltwater applications. Probably a little excessive for behind a shower.

oliver6, Oct 27, 9:25am
I would glue the seratone straight onto the existing lining you described.
It Is tantalised hardboard and is virtually bullet proof.
I recently stripped out a bathroom I lined with seratone 20 years ago. There has been a leak inside the wall and the timber had all rotted completely, the seratone was perfect, even after having been glued to wet and rotting timber for probable years.

ebygum1, Oct 27, 7:29pm
Seratone is not " tantalised " , it is oil tempered. The reason for the 5mm gap the poster asked about is to prevent moister rising up the back of the seratone sheet. This is usually achieved by rebating the walls to recess the shower tray.

ebygum1, Oct 27, 7:31pm
Yes, that's correct,I was wondering just where the wharf timber went in the shower.

alancj, Oct 27, 7:47pm
It's just me being super cautious. I cut the battens myself. You still have to prime them so the glue adheres properly.

underconstructy, Oct 27, 8:58pm
Are you serious?

alancj, Aug 18, 3:16pm
Yep. Although, I must admit, it's been a while since I last did it. So things may have changed in the "glue department" since then.